What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A very very very. . . bad move by apple!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is by no means a true statement. Most developers will want their games and apps to run on whatever hardware it can, as this translates into sales. Right now, NO one even has the 4th gen iPad. Your iPad 3 will continue to play plenty of games.

And of course you were given zero guarantees in terms of when a refresh would occur for iPad.

My point is not that it won't run. My point is it would run better on the iPad 4 (e.g. more 3d effects) and that I will be disappointed that I don't get to experience it since I'm not willing to upgrade this soon. I do have some concern that iPad3 will have a shorter life cycle than other iPads due to its shorter time in production and potential to be under powered for all the pixels it has to push (I've seen some stuttering in existing games) but as I said in earlier posts, I'm sure I will upgrade before it is a real problem. I was wrong to imply that the issue would be terrible "now" but over time it will happen just like with all tech and I suggest the time is sooner from date of purchase for the iPad 3 than it was for the other iPads.

I don't expect guarantees but I think it to be ok to be disappointed that I won't have the best gaming experience possible on an iPad due to my lack of willingness to invest in the newer device this soon. There is a good chance the next refresh won't come until next October instead of March so this will likely be the case for the next year. It may be that this would have been the March update anyway (doubt it) and it may be that there will still be a March update (doubt that too). Bottom line that in March I would have been willing to upgrade to a new device but not to a mid cycle device so now my next upgrade is likely October. Again, it is my prerogative to be disappointed about that. Understand that many will think I don't have the right to be disappointed and that I should be grateful that I have an iPad 3. I do see the point there and am excited to see the envelope being pushed forward but I still feel that way I feel. Gives me a good opportunity to learn to fight my gadget addiction :)

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion Apple's current naming policy is very pathetic. I mean 'iPad with Retina Display'??? Didn't the previous 'New iPad' (????) have that very same display too? And now there are three different devices officially called 'iPad'. Just weird...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion Apple's current naming policy is very pathetic. I mean 'iPad with Retina Display'??? Didn't the previous 'New iPad' (????) have that very same display too? And now there are three different devices officially called 'iPad'. Just weird...

Well, "Recycled iPad" just didn't have the right marketing ring to it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The 4th gen iPad is the 2nd Gen "iPad with Retina Display". But yeah, they really just screwed up the naming schemes. They should have hired a firm to help them figure this out. And whoever approved the recently naming scheme on iPad needs to get his/her pay docked.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 4th gen iPad is the 2nd Gen "iPad with Retina Display". But yeah, they really just screwed up the naming schemes. They should have hired a firm to help them figure this out. And whoever approved the recently naming scheme on iPad needs to get his/her pay docked.

I'd rather they just keep things simple -- iPad 1, 2, 3 and so on. I don't care about marketing names and just want to easily find accessories online without it being a PITA because of inconsistent and bad naming.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree....even the head hanchos can't seem to keep it straight when they talk about it.
Talk about confusing for newcomers to Apple/iPads.

marvso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a no brainer guys. Apple HAD to release a new ipad because of the connection port. Apple isn't the kind of company that is going to sell two different kind of connection cables, docks, ect. And they couldn't simply just change the port on the existing ipad 3 and call it the same model. The differences between ipad 3 and 4 are minuscule. My ipad 3 is plenty fast enough for everything I do.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hate to be a kill joy, but the iPhone is the ONLY product line that still uses a numbering system. All other Apple products sold use a generation identifier only (The iPad 2 being the only exception because they decided not to rename it even though the next two replacements are generational).

To be blunt, I am shocked the iPhone 5 was released with a number instead of a generation. They have deprecated that on every other product and changed the entire Apple online store to reflect that fact.

Something to consider.

tsmrg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very very very very dissapointed with apple's move. I dont anymore to say.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts