A very very very. . . bad move by apple!!

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by kulit_12, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skull One

Skull One
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I see where your confusion stems from and I have very good news for you. :D

All applications written for the iPad (every version ever made) are designed for 1024x768 only. There are NO apps that are designed for 2048x1536. It is currently impossible because the iOS SDK doesn't allow it. Now you are asking how do retina apps work. Easy. The developer provides two sets of graphics (hence the average app size growing by 16%). One set for 1024x768 and a second set at 2048x1536. They do that by providing a graphic asset with two different names. So pumpkin.png is the 1024x768 version and pumpkin@2x.png is the 2048x1536. The developer doesn't have to change a single line of code to make this work. He simply calls for the asset pumpkin and iOS looks at which device it is running on to pick the graphic. And yes this applies to all iOS devices.

Now with that in mind, why do they want more CPU and GPU power? There in-lies the rub and what you are concerned with. The amount of AI (artificial intelligence) and how many different 3D objects built with multiple polygons that are independently textured is limited strictly by the amount of time between each screen refresh. The more horsepower the more you can do.

In that regard, they have to code for the iPad 2 and Mini which are both A5 CPUs. That means anything they can run, the iPad 3's A5X and iPad's 4 A6X can run without any issue. Heck for that matter, the iPhone 4S and 5 are compatible with that design criteria.

Hope that elevates some of your worries.

2. Greg G

Greg G
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes the impact of more horsepower for CPU/GPU activities is my concern. Suspect you are right that anything that runs on an iPad2 at 1024x768 should be able to run on an iPad3 at 2048x1536. I do expect there to be engine tweaks to make the same game look and run better on the iPad4. That is the primary disappointment for me. Up until now I've managed to upgrade each year as the new model comes out so I always had the best application experience but this is just too soon. I don't care about what others think - I'd be happy to have an iPad4 and not tell anyone it wasn't an iPad3 (actually, I'd prefer that since people already think I'm nuts for upgrading each year :p).

Also, I'm sure I will be moving to the iPad5 before the iPad3 stops being able to run everything so for me that is less of an issue but others may be worried that they won't get as much longevity out of the iPad3 as they would the iPad2 if they had bought that when it first came out.

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    This is by no means a true statement. Most developers will want their games and apps to run on whatever hardware it can, as this translates into sales. Right now, NO one even has the 4th gen iPad. Your iPad 3 will continue to play plenty of games.

And of course you were given zero guarantees in terms of when a refresh would occur for iPad.

4. seneca18

seneca18
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Welcome back Skull, haven't seen you in a while.

5. Skull One

Skull One
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. Needed a vacation ;)

6. Greg G

Greg G
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My point is not that it won't run. My point is it would run better on the iPad 4 (e.g. more 3d effects) and that I will be disappointed that I don't get to experience it since I'm not willing to upgrade this soon. I do have some concern that iPad3 will have a shorter life cycle than other iPads due to its shorter time in production and potential to be under powered for all the pixels it has to push (I've seen some stuttering in existing games) but as I said in earlier posts, I'm sure I will upgrade before it is a real problem. I was wrong to imply that the issue would be terrible "now" but over time it will happen just like with all tech and I suggest the time is sooner from date of purchase for the iPad 3 than it was for the other iPads.

I don't expect guarantees but I think it to be ok to be disappointed that I won't have the best gaming experience possible on an iPad due to my lack of willingness to invest in the newer device this soon. There is a good chance the next refresh won't come until next October instead of March so this will likely be the case for the next year. It may be that this would have been the March update anyway (doubt it) and it may be that there will still be a March update (doubt that too). Bottom line that in March I would have been willing to upgrade to a new device but not to a mid cycle device so now my next upgrade is likely October. Again, it is my prerogative to be disappointed about that. Understand that many will think I don't have the right to be disappointed and that I should be grateful that I have an iPad 3. I do see the point there and am excited to see the envelope being pushed forward but I still feel that way I feel. Gives me a good opportunity to learn to fight my gadget addiction :)

7. mrcupu

mrcupu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    lets just buy it and give the old ipad to relatives and be done with it:D

8. Greg G

Greg G
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I must be strong! I can go one iPad model without purchasing! I really can! *gasp* :(

-Greg

9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    End of that than, right?

10. Greg G

Greg G
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ok with me but I'm not the OP. Also, it won't be over for me til the iPad 5 comes out :eek:. I can however refrain from crying about it on these forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.