What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Thank You..And SHSH Blog Question

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off I would like to say thank you to everyone for helping me jailbreak my ipad, wasnt easy for me. lol

I am very interested in jailbreaking to an Untethered, because I thought the only time i had to boot in "tethered boot" was if i drained the battery to Zero. LOL not the case..Its every time i shut it off/lose power

Questions:
1. What is a SHSH Blog?
2. Do I have to update it?
3. Is there a difference between IPSW and SHSH?

Thanks Everyone

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, why would you be powering off your iPad on a regular basis? Just put it to sleep.

(1) SHSH blobs are signatures to verify valid firmware (to Apple, this means the latest version of firmware)
(2) You don't update the blobs, but you might want to save them. If in the future you decide you want to downgrade to an earlier firmware, you need the saved blobs or else the older firmware will not be seen as valid.
(3) The IPSW the the actual firmware file that gets loaded into your device. The SHSH blobs are the signature files stating that the firmware file is valid.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm relieved you got there in the end!

1. SHSH (sometimes called a blob) is a signature hash which Apple generates specifically for your device using its ECID against a specific firmware version. Apple only provides these signatures for the current firmware (4.2.1 at the moment). If you do not have a signature for a firmware you are trying to install the you cannot install it. There is currently no way round this system. So, if you wanted to downgrade to 3.2.2 for example, you MUST have saved your SHSH blob for 3.2.2 either on Cydia or locally on your computer using a program called TinyUmbrella - These solutions DONT generate SHSH's for you. They still have to get them from Apple, its just that they store them so you can use them again in the future if you need to.
2. You should probably download tinyumbrella (google it) and allow it to start saving your SHSH's locally. Remember at the moment you will ONLY be entitled to 4.2.1.
3. IPSW is a file containing the FULL firmware (operating system and apple apps) for your device (that's why its > 500MB) - The SHSH is a very small signature, which as I said is used to validate your entitlement to a particular firmware.

Hope that helps.

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do i download Tiny Umbrella to my desktop and then sync with Itunes or directly download it from ipad OTA on safari?

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok how can i download 4.2b3 SHSH blog/blob in or through cydia?

I only have IOS-4.2.1 SHSH

Reason, I am Jailbreaking UNTETHERED

Correct to proceed: ?

Need/Download
1. Redsn0w 0.9.7b5
2. IPSW: iPad1,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
3. IPSW: 4.2 Beta? (where can i D/L this IPSW)
3. When I load redsn0w, just check Jailbreak Monte (Untetered)

Thanks everyone

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do I not explain things clearly?

You cant. See my previous post for why.

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand a little more clear now, what if I restore my Ipad and then jailbreak Untethered? Can I do that? with 4.2.1?

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i know, come on take it easy on me guys...i never jail broke anything before and I was little pain in the butt, but i got the wrong IPSW and thats why I was having such a hard time. IF i have all the correct information and link of versions and such. I will not have any problems.

thanks again

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are cute, Taylor. Hey, I would be worse than you and you are not that bad!! No worries!! I don't think you were a pain in the butt!

He really is a nice guy ~

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks sweetpoison...hopefully I do not have to restore my ipad...just jailbreak it again UNtethered using redsn0w.

mathen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i know, come on take it easy on me guys...i never jail broke anything before and I was little pain in the butt, but i got the wrong IPSW and thats why I was having such a hard time. IF i have all the correct information and link of versions and such. I will not have any problems.

thanks again
Hi Taylor,me too in your position,actually am an idiot,originally my device had 3.2.2 ,I have jbed iphone4 and ipod touch with limera1n b4, so I went a bit overconfident in limera1n without caring to save my 3.2.2 shsh( very easy just connect your ipad with cable to your pc,and simply run ,tinyumbrella,give it sometime,it will do it...if latest version not working,try previous versions, which did the trick for me
Now since I messed up ,I had to update to 4.2.1, am not gonna do a tethered jb,but am waiting for official untethered version...

OP
T

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yea man....Tethered JB stinks...hey sweetposion i got a question for you...if I back up my IPAD...and then restore it...can i retrieve all my apps/games.wallpapers etc?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand a little more clear now, what if I restore my Ipad and then jailbreak Untethered? Can I do that? with 4.2.1?

I am trying to take it easy on you Taylor. And as I said, no. You cant. You don't need to keep coming up with new ideas. You can't at the moment. There is no way round the secutiry. I explaind why. You cannot (currently) untether your iPad because you dont have access to the right SHSH's. There is no way to get round it. If there was, I would tell you... We are here to help you know. I am not trying to keep anyting secret from you...

Most reactions

Latest posts