What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Slave for the iPad.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to have the iPad be my main computer but it would need to run Photoshop and serious CAD software first.

Furthermore, I'm not too keen on storing big amounts of data on an easily stolen portable device. Although if it were a portal to a domestic server system and virtually empties when it leaves the reaches of the network, it would pretty well be my only computer.

Can it be possible today?

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
If a [proper] remote desktop app [not vnc] was available I believe that would do a great job for what you're asking. But I haven't seen a real remote desktop application on the iPhone.

I have a Nexus One and I installed a true remote desktop app on it. Due to the limited screen size, it wasn't that great but if something like that were available on the iPad it would be amazing.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a [proper] remote desktop app [not vnc] was available I believe that would do a great job for what you're asking. But I haven't seen a real remote desktop application on the iPhone.

I have a Nexus One and I installed a true remote desktop app on it. Due to the limited screen size, it wasn't that great but if something like that were available on the iPad it would be amazing.

If VNC isn't a proper remote desktop what would you consider proper? VNC is so standard it comes with OSX.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use VNC on my iPhone all the time. Meets all my needs.

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
It is very useful, I'm not denying that. But VNC (Screensharing on Macs) is a graphical representation of the desktop. Also I believe VNC is not encrypted (something the OP requested).

If possible, Remote Desktop would be able to make use of the iPad's processor. VNC can not resize the resolution to match the iPad, only make the image of the desktop smaller/larger.

Since Remote desktop service is built into Windows and has access to secret hooks that other applications (VNC) don't have access to, it is faster. And then of course there is the fact that the remote desktop feature is able to disable the windows server on the physical screen (on the server machine) so double redraws are eliminated.

But since VNC can be used over multiple OSes I believe it will be the leader in remote desktop software and will meet the needs of the average user.

Most reactions