What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A simple question about IOS updates

boirefish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guilty of wanting to jailbreak my ipad 2... Just bought it, and still sealed.

Is that taboo here, or can I still ask my question?

Oh well, If I get banned - sorry in advance.

My question is related to ios updates. ie when you first plug your ipad 2 into your computer from brand new, will it update your ios to 4.3.5 (or latest) immediately, or does it set up as 4.3.3 and then give you options to update?

If it is automatic, I won't be able to jailbreak it since ios 4.3.3 is the most commonly supported for a wifi model, according to recent sources. And if it is automatic, is there a way to prevent it from happening?

Thanks for the help!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum...in particular the rules about hacking discussions...which we're all for as long as there is no talk about illegal/pirated applications, etc.

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Hacking area where you're likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not automatic. It will ask if you want to update to the latest software. Not only can you say no, you can stipulate that iTunes never asks again.

For the record...I bought a new 3G a little over a month ago that was still 4.3.3. Most people who post here lately have not been so fortunate and I doubt it's likely at this point.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
B

boirefish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not automatic. It will ask if you want to update to the latest software. Not only can you say no, you can stipulate that iTunes never asks again.

For the record...I bought a new 3G a little over a month ago that was still 4.3.3. Most people who post here lately have not been so fortunate and I doubt it's likely at this point.

Good luck!

Wow. I just sold a 4.3.3 black one today because I wanted white. Does being in Australia make a difference? Lol maybe I should ask for my black one back!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What iOS version you get will depend entirely on your retailer.

Order from Apple online and you will get 4.3.5

Pick one up in a retail store and you will get whatever is in their inventory...

-t

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Just plug it in to your pc and iTunes and you can upgrade it to latest version
It is just an inventory issue nothing more nothing less .

Those laser eyes are staring right through the OP's needs. Col! He wants to JB, so updates to 4.3.5 are a no no. He is in search of inventory issues!

OP
B

boirefish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

Those laser eyes are staring right through the OP's needs. Col! He wants to JB, so updates to 4.3.5 are a no no. He is in search of inventory issues!

I opened the badboy up last night, and it turns out I got a 4.3.3
I literally jumped up and started doing all that fist pumping and the zyzz dance. Also happened to be at a mate's birthday, so quite a few people were there to share the excitement :) one guy even taught me about what to get. Quite happy :)

OP
B

boirefish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

I opened the badboy up last night, and it turns out I got a 4.3.3
I literally jumped up and started doing all that fist pumping and the zyzz dance. Also happened to be at a mate's birthday, so quote a few people were there to share the excitement :) one guy even taught me about what to get. Quite happy :)

Yes, I bought an unopened iPad to my mate's birthday without the intention of giving it to him xd harsh, I know, but it just so happened I picked it up an hour previous :)

Most reactions

Latest posts