What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for the Photo Buffs please:

donnington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

When you load and save photos to the Pad through the 'Camera Connection Kit', for some illogical reason it saves two copies of each picture.

I haven't yet been able to fathom out how one can get rid of one photo without losing the other.

Seems crazy to me. Can anyone enlighten me.

Many thanks.....

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

When you load and save photos to the Pad through the 'Camera Connection Kit', for some illogical reason it saves two copies of each picture.

I haven't yet been able to fathom out how one can get rid of one photo without losing the other.

Seems crazy to me. Can anyone enlighten me.

Many thanks.....

Hello Donnington, Welcome to the Forum. I have a digital camera and I have it set for raw + jpeg. So when I download via camera connection kit, I get two copies, raw + jpeg. Could that be your setting for your camera too?

I happen to have my camera today and camera connection and kit and tried to make the the iPad or the camera duplicate images and the only thing I could find was the raw + jpeg setting on my camera.

OP
D

donnington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matt for posting.

It would seem from your answer that I didn't explain myself very well.

I'll try again. It has nothing to do with what you save 'in camera'.

As you know, when you connect a camera or an SD card via the camera connecting device, the images are automatically displayed on the iPad. It invites you to save them, or delete them.

When you opt to 'save' you end up with two separate folders in the Photos section of the iPad.

What does not seem possible (or if it is I have yet to discover how to do it) is how to delete one folder without deleting the other.

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you get the same result. Thanks again.

Eileenpeaches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Eileen .. I have a question .. Every time I take picture from my ipad camera the picture comes out very "cartoon-ish" .. How do I change d settings back to normal .. ? Any info is much appreciated .. Thx

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
donnington said:
Thanks Matt for posting.

It would seem from your answer that I didn't explain myself very well.

I'll try again. It has nothing to do with what you save 'in camera'.

As you know, when you connect a camera or an SD card via the camera connecting device, the images are automatically displayed on the iPad. It invites you to save them, or delete them.

When you opt to 'save' you end up with two separate folders in the Photos section of the iPad.

What does not seem possible (or if it is I have yet to discover how to do it) is how to delete one folder without deleting the other.

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you get the same result. Thanks again.

What Matt tried to say is if you save every photo you take on your (exterrnal) camera automatically in two different formats in the camera in the moment you take them, then they will be imported in two different formats as the iPad will not know that it is actually the same photo.

Now, to your question, when I import all photos from my camera into the iPad they will be saved into the "Photos", wher ALL pictures (photos, screenshots etc) taken with the iPad, imported photos, and photos from iTunes Sync will be shown. Furthermore they can be found in the Folder "last import" AND in the folder of the specific day in "Events" (don't know if I translated the locations correctly as my OS is in German). So they are actually in 3 locations where you can find them!

Now, if you do not delete the photos on your SD Card (or connected camera) they will eventually be imported again - I don't know and I don't want to test that - and this might be your problem.

As you see you cannot delete the photos from one location but not from the other location, therefore I GUESS that the fotos are not copied into the other locations but rather get tagged to be shown (or not) in different folders. As I say, this is my guess only... but maybe it helps you already?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, we have eliminated the two file setting in the camera. Now, let's talk about the Photo app, this app comes with your iPad. Across the top in the app, there are four sections Photos, Albums, Events, Places.

Press Photos, you get every single photo on the iPad.

If you press Albums, you get the Albums you created with a sync from a MAC/PC Source AND your camera. All of the photos you import from your camera will be in the album: All Imported.

Press Events, you get just the photos that you imported from your camera organized per session--there should be several folders that are sequentially ordered 100import, 101import, etc. (I don't use geotagging for my photos, I do not have any working experience of "places" but I've seen it in action on other friend's iPads that use this geo-tagging extensively.)

HPulmer indicated that if you continue to use the same memory card to import more files, the iPad will also add already imported files. Any file that already exists on the iPad, would be renamed with a (#). This is the logic used when you get the choice of deleting photos once imported.

(Managing your photos with your iPad is very simplistic and doesn't give you the kind of flexibility you will need as your portofolio grows, for example, whatever name your camera creates to name a file, will be imported to the iPad in that same file name. You can't rename it to something that would be more descriptive of the content.)

When you say you have photos in three places and if you were to delete them in one part of the app, it is also deleted in other folders--that is because you only have one copy of the file. I hope this helps you get a better idea how this app works.

Most reactions

Latest posts