What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for Mac users

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am a bit of an OS nut. I love trying out new ones to see what they bring to the table. I have used OS X before, but never on a dedicated machine that is mine to use (or abuse as the case may be). In an effort to get the true Mac experience I have borrowed an iMac from a neighbor that is away on an extended business trip. This is a pretty simple question but here is goes anyhow. How in the world do you get the OS to recognize extra mouse buttons? I have a Logitech mouse plugged in and the system has no problem using it for normal functions. However, if I use any of the side buttons (which in Windows default to Forward / Back) they stick me in scrolling mode. A quick Google search brings up some commercial applications, but I am thinking there has to be a free solution isn't there?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Click on the apple in the upper left hand corner and select preferences. Then click on the mouse and you should be able to set that up there.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks hook. It must be that this mouse isn't supported directly under the OS. When I look at the mouse it just gives me the option to set my primary mouse button (left or right) and nothing else. I did try installing the Logitech Control Center but it doesn't seem to think my mouse is a Logitech either. I'll keep digging.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks hook. It must be that this mouse isn't supported directly under the OS. When I look at the mouse it just gives me the option to set my primary mouse button (left or right) and nothing else. I did try installing the Logitech Control Center but it doesn't seem to think my mouse is a Logitech either. I'll keep digging.

No, I just checked. What OS are you working with? If it's leopard it should say one finger, secondary click right and the opportunity to put a checkmark in the box.

It should support any mouse.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

I have been reading through the Logitech forums and it appears that this is not an uncommon issue. I should find out if the owner used a different brand of mouse that might be causing a conflict.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

I have been reading through the Logitech forums and it appears that this is not an uncommon issue. I should find out if the owner used a different brand of mouse that might be causing a conflict.

I'm almost tempted to pull my logitech mouse off my PC and see what I get. That's the same OS I have. Well, good luck. I don't think I can help any further if you're seeing an issue.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the input regardless!

Oh well, time to have some fun driving this thing around to see what it can do anyhow.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am a bit of an OS nut. I love trying out new ones to see what they bring to the table. I have used OS X before, but never on a dedicated machine that is mine to use (or abuse as the case may be). In an effort to get the true Mac experience I have borrowed an iMac from a neighbor that is away on an extended business trip. This is a pretty simple question but here is goes anyhow. How in the world do you get the OS to recognize extra mouse buttons? I have a Logitech mouse plugged in and the system has no problem using it for normal functions. However, if I use any of the side buttons (which in Windows default to Forward / Back) they stick me in scrolling mode. A quick Google search brings up some commercial applications, but I am thinking there has to be a free solution isn't there?

Can't help you. I have the iMac wireless mouse and its sucha please to right, left click and scroll without wheels and wires, I'd never go back.

CM

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave in and downloaded a commercial app (30 day trial) that makes all of the buttons functional. That should give me enough time to test things out.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several decent Logitech devices, but I have never been a fan of their keyboards and mice. Believe it or not, the Microsoft branded mice and keyboards have been my favorite models.

Most reactions

Latest posts