a question about ifile

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by addiosamigo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    hi, i'm new to the forum.

getting my ipad on friday,

I was wondering with apps now like vlc media player, oplayer and cinex can we put our films onto a hard drive or usb stick and then within ifile tell it to play the video through a designated program??

like with pdf's, we can choose "open in" and then open them in say ibooks.

thanks

2. gatorlounge

gatorlounge iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have tried vlc player and you actually have to copy the file to the vlc document folder on iPad for it to play but u can delete it after to save space and just keep on your sd card

3. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Ah so find the memory stick using ifile, then copy the video into vlc then play, then delete, so theoretically I could have like a 200gb hard drive full of my DVDs but still be able to play them!
    Cheers man!

4. Jdaud

Jdaud iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you open ifile>sidebar>memory should show up under devices. I use cinexplayer (now that it plays any .avi I've thrown at it) as well as VLC. Simply copy and paste into documents folder under whichever player you use.
    IPad+camera connector+thumb drive(no additional power necessary)=sweeeeeeeeet media machine

5. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Average film takes between 750mb to 1.5gb roughly when converted for iPad so you can gauge how much storage you need.

Tbh I only keep a couple of old favorites on my iPad preferring to stream the rest using zumocast from one of my other machines. This way they get converted on the fly and I don't have to be bothered with converting them before uploading to the iPad.

6. egghead221

egghead221 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can actually just create a link to the file. Browse to your storage card and choose the copy/link option. Then browse to the documents folder within vlc or cinexplayer and choose create link. Works really nicely.

7. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Good one. I forgot about this way.
    Ifiles is a must for a true portable media experience. I hate using itunes for file or movie transfers. Way 2 slow. With ifiles all i do is copy/cut then paste n im good. Simplicity is a Mofo..lol.
    Off topic question: how do u pay for cydia apps? Is it simple or already connected like itunes or do i have to pay thru some other way? Like if i wanted to upgrade/register my Ifiles. Using it in free, it doesnt let u search for files by typing in search box. Juss curious cuz i doubt ill upgrade, works well as is. Pop up does get annoying though...lol. No i dont want to register....Then i press later..lol.

8. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    You pay for cydia apps through paypal, you just Link your account.
    Cheers for all the tips guys!
    Anyone got a hard drive to work with it yet? One that doesn't need to be powered?