What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a question about ifile

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i'm new to the forum.

getting my ipad on friday,

I was wondering with apps now like vlc media player, oplayer and cinex can we put our films onto a hard drive or usb stick and then within ifile tell it to play the video through a designated program??

like with pdf's, we can choose "open in" and then open them in say ibooks.

thanks

gatorlounge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried vlc player and you actually have to copy the file to the vlc document folder on iPad for it to play but u can delete it after to save space and just keep on your sd card

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah so find the memory stick using ifile, then copy the video into vlc then play, then delete, so theoretically I could have like a 200gb hard drive full of my DVDs but still be able to play them!
Cheers man!

Jdaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you open ifile>sidebar>memory should show up under devices. I use cinexplayer (now that it plays any .avi I've thrown at it) as well as VLC. Simply copy and paste into documents folder under whichever player you use.
IPad+camera connector+thumb drive(no additional power necessary)=sweeeeeeeeet media machine

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Average film takes between 750mb to 1.5gb roughly when converted for iPad so you can gauge how much storage you need.

Tbh I only keep a couple of old favorites on my iPad preferring to stream the rest using zumocast from one of my other machines. This way they get converted on the fly and I don't have to be bothered with converting them before uploading to the iPad.

egghead221

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can actually just create a link to the file. Browse to your storage card and choose the copy/link option. Then browse to the documents folder within vlc or cinexplayer and choose create link. Works really nicely.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can actually just create a link to the file. Browse to your storage card and choose the copy/link option. Then browse to the documents folder within vlc or cinexplayer and choose create link. Works really nicely.

Good one. I forgot about this way.
Ifiles is a must for a true portable media experience. I hate using itunes for file or movie transfers. Way 2 slow. With ifiles all i do is copy/cut then paste n im good. Simplicity is a Mofo..lol.
Off topic question: how do u pay for cydia apps? Is it simple or already connected like itunes or do i have to pay thru some other way? Like if i wanted to upgrade/register my Ifiles. Using it in free, it doesnt let u search for files by typing in search box. Juss curious cuz i doubt ill upgrade, works well as is. Pop up does get annoying though...lol. No i dont want to register....Then i press later..lol.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You pay for cydia apps through paypal, you just Link your account.
Cheers for all the tips guys!
Anyone got a hard drive to work with it yet? One that doesn't need to be powered?

Most reactions

Latest posts