What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A paradigm shift is occurring ... iPad the beginning

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like help folks to better understand that iPad (and other similar touch screen competitive devices that will be coming) are the beginning of a new way and more natural way to bring computing into our lives. Jesus Diaz at Gizmodo has generated several articles to this effect. Amazing insight. It changes the entire focus. A new paradigm shift is happening. I wonder if many of the fabulous people on this and other forums are even grasping the key ideas. Jef Raskin, and Alan Kay are two of the original masterminds of the idea that a digital device can morph into what ever I/we/us need so as not to be confined by the hardware of the moment. It is the software, the apps, that are changing the whole landscape. The execs from many top companies are blind sided by it. MS is clinging on for dear life (theirs). So many of the comments are structured around why can't the ipad, apps and iTunes be something else, more like my Windows driven stuff ... I just want this to be a better legacy laptop and on and on it goes. Most of the comments are a lot of what I call "cut and paste" ... not a lot of original thinking ... just parroting.

The article on why Photoshop for ipad is changing the world of computing, Jesus Diaz is a must read. Then follow the links. It is truely an awakening. At least it was for me. Just wanted to share with with you all.:)

http://gizmodo.com/#!5787574/why-photoshop-for-ipad-marks-the-end-of-the-desktop-computing-era/^comments

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought it was a good article.
Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
Link reposted for ease of use :)

Basically Apple demonstrated the potential of iOS at the iPad2 announcement. Both iMovie and GarageBand are desktop quality software. Photoshop is just the beginning as I don't think it will be long before iPhoto appears. Now the hardware is up to scratch the software will follow.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That 10/GUI concept video was interesting. To bad the adaptable haptic interfaces like that concept of the Nokia Morph aren't available yet. You could start replacing keyboards too.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And people think Apple users are Kool-Aid drinkers!

There are a lot of comments after the article, but this one just made me shake my head and say tsk tsk tsk....

...I could never hope to accomplish what I do on my desktop on an iPad.

Now, if the iPad ran windows, it would be a whole different story...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There are a lot of comments after the article, but this one just made me shake my head and say tsk tsk tsk....

I'm a sad individual - I love Kool Aid

Tim

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I would very like more options for custom keyboard layouts directly in iOS. I think mainly of Kindergarden education. We teach them the alphabet and then scramble it all up on a keyboard so they have to go hunting for the correct letter. Granted we do start them on typing programs early but that's still having them learn two different letter layouts when they may not yet be confident with either one.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I respect your right to a fixed opinion... and your work space... and I do think understand your position. What I am offering here is a new focus ... a major change is underway. Why are there lines of people all over the world wanting and buying iPads? What are the getting, wanting and willing to spend $$$ for?
I have computers, several of them. I also have a workshop with lots of tools. I use the best tool for the job at hand. You are doing the same. So are the folks getting iPads.

I just wonder why you have to use ridicule to attack versus use a bit of sensitivity to others, and some modest attempt to understand another's viewpoint?

I think you completely missed 1994's point on that post. He was shaking his head at the comment that he quoted, not your original post.

Still, I actually agree with the comment that 1994 quoted from with one small change. I can never hope to do with my iPad what I can with my desktop without a full windowed interface and true multitasking (doesn't have to be MS Windows). I do believe that we will get there with tablets over time, but they still have a long way to go.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ability to use Photoshop on the iPad is monumental, but it is only a step forward, not an end. Eventually we may see a product where you have a smart phone that has ten times the power and battery of the best today. And you have a choice of rollup screens that plug into it, and does everything a computer does today. Even then, I do not see an end to home computers, just changes in functions.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other than gaming my iPad has absolutely replaced my desktop PC.

In fact, I have a two year old daughter so must be very mobile when I am alone with her and would get no online time without my iPad.

And just to clarify, she and I have great fun all day. But when she is entranced by a toy or video I do enjoy hopping onto the web for the few minutes that she is distracted. NOT A BAD DAD!!!!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
I deleted my remarks to 1991 ... I'll just have to adjust my humor quotient ... I was taught that if I had nothing good to share, don't share. IHMO

I learned this also or if about certain subjects..lmao ;-)

Sent From IPF app,on a Jailbroken Device...need I say more ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts