What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a neat camera idea for the ipad

jdraziw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just watched the keynote from the wwdc.

iOS4 is going to rock.

i believe the only thing im starting to want in my ad is some form of a camera... which im pretty sure is going to come in a future model... BUT

do you think ots possible that apple could develop a dockpin camera? i think that would be killer IF its possible... and that MANY who bought the first genration iPad would possibly buy one...

im not talking about just any camera... im talking about a camera like the one on the iphone 4... a dockpin camera with front and rear lenses (so iPad users could also have FaceTime... and of course the 5 megaixels with the flash.

i believe it's possible, to the fact that they could make a camera that is powered by the iPad when plugged in, and having a camera app to take pictures, then when a picture is taken, it is saved in the manner that photos are transfered to the iPad through the camera connection kit.

it would be a dream come true for me, haha.

what do yall think?

it seems that apple and steve jobbs will take notice to suggestions if there are numbers behind a cause.

i have a design in my head and it is wonderful... a dosckpin cam, front and rear lenses, with a little swivel to it for positioning at an angel.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice idea. I expect someones already working on it.

That said I doubt I would buy one. Thinking back over the years, I can count on my fingers the times I bothered to use Skype.
I suspect my daughter got more usage than I and I don't intend giving her any excuse to grab my iPad.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, cool idea! Didn't think about the front and rear webcam !

If they can have a dual cam connected directly to the 30-pin connector and the size is small, I'd definitely get it.

Imagine being able to run iChat on the iPad and view the other party in full-screen mode!

Gotta pester the developers to come up with an app asap!

OP
J

jdraziw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@hasty i have wondered myself if someone else possibly could already be working on one... *crosses fingers*

@fotonutz yeah... you'd think they could make something at least as thin and no bigger than the iphone 4, but not as long.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would buy it probably, just for shits and giggles. I bet it would be super expensive though.

The only thing is, if the OS isn't set up to use a camera (like if they disable that part of the code for the iPad version of the OS), how would it work?

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would it be possible to create an app, similar to iChat and get it to interface thru the 30-pin connector?

I think Apple may be able to come up with a small add-on CMOS camera if the market share for the iPad is substantial.

If this camera can also be used with the iTouch, iPhone 3G, iPad with the relevant apps, the market share for Apple will be worth billions!

They already have 80M iPhone and iTouch users who are not able to use FaceTime, so, an add-on camera may be another avenue for Apple to sell another device:D

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would almost have to be Apple supported otherwise I don't see how the drivers would work. If the iPhone camera drivers are embedded into the iPad OS, which they may or may not be, and just lying dormant, that doesn't solve the issue of an aftermarket camera.

Plus it wouldn't make much business sense I don't think for Apple to make one. Because then when iPad 2 comes out, if it has a camera, people are less likely to upgrade because they can just buy the accessory.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Revision 2 of the iPad is going to be released next year with a camera....Apple does this purposefully all the time. They release a product, missing a few features, then include them on the next release so it gives people an incentive to buy it.

Take the first gen iPhone, it had EDGE data, EDGE!!! 10 year old technology....."amazing" how the 3G was released a year later.

sbarnes8478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.... if the market share for the iPad is substantial....

2,000,000 and counting, with no sign of slackening. Estimated 1 iPad currently being sold every 13 seconds. I'm thinking the definition of 'substantial' may have been exceeded.

Given that the second most quoted complaint that I've seen has been the lack of a camera, the market for such a gizmo is clearly there. If it could be done for the price of basic digital camera I'd buy it. The question of whether the iPad could power such a thing is an issue, but I'd solve that by having a seperate rechargeable battery in the camera...

(lack of flash supportwas the most quoted complaint, and given that most of the streaming video sites are scrambling to become 'iPad friendly', flash now seems just as irrelevant as was predicted)

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually SJ said they were Selling at a pace of one iPad every 3 seconds, not 13 :)

I would actually prefer if a company made a small compact bluetooth webcam that you could clip onto the iPad.. And also move the camera head around. That way the dock connector would still be free. Hmm... I know there is one out there now but.. Not too big of a fan of the price and low quality camera

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.... if the market share for the iPad is substantial....

2,000,000 and counting, with no sign of slackening. Estimated 1 iPad currently being sold every 13 seconds. I'm thinking the definition of 'substantial' may have been exceeded.

Given that the second most quoted complaint that I've seen has been the lack of a camera, the market for such a gizmo is clearly there. If it could be done for the price of basic digital camera I'd buy it. The question of whether the iPad could power such a thing is an issue, but I'd solve that by having a seperate rechargeable battery in the camera...

(lack of flash supportwas the most quoted complaint, and given that most of the streaming video sites are scrambling to become 'iPad friendly', flash now seems just as irrelevant as was predicted)

THREE seconds, not thirteen ;) . I agree with Apple's stand point in forcing flash out of the market. It's a closed system that requires a plug in. I don't ever want to install another plug in ever again.

iTazm0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just watched the keynote from the wwdc.

iOS4 is going to rock.

i believe the only thing im starting to want in my ad is some form of a camera... which im pretty sure is going to come in a future model... BUT

do you think ots possible that apple could develop a dockpin camera? i think that would be killer IF its possible... and that MANY who bought the first genration iPad would possibly buy one...

im not talking about just any camera... im talking about a camera like the one on the iphone 4... a dockpin camera with front and rear lenses (so iPad users could also have FaceTime... and of course the 5 megaixels with the flash.

i believe it's possible, to the fact that they could make a camera that is powered by the iPad when plugged in, and having a camera app to take pictures, then when a picture is taken, it is saved in the manner that photos are transfered to the iPad through the camera connection kit.

it would be a dream come true for me, haha.

what do yall think?

it seems that apple and steve jobbs will take notice to suggestions if there are numbers behind a cause.

i have a design in my head and it is wonderful... a dosckpin cam, front and rear lenses, with a little swivel to it for positioning at an angel.

looks like someone is also thinking of the 30pin connection for a web cam..
The First iPad Webcam Is a Sad Sight
first effort/concept looks pretty clunky, but I've read that there might be a bunch of accessories for the dock connector in the near future.

Also, don't forget about the apps- Camera A and Wireless Camera- that link your iPhone to the iPad wirelessly (BT or WiFi) in order to give the iPad access to the camera with live preview. In fact one of the apps gives a live preview of what ever is on the iPhones screen, so what if it was a video call? Actual video capture is coming to those apps soon, or so I heard from a dev when I emailed them. So I would guess live streaming for video calls wouldn't be too hard to pull off after that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and I'm so with ya.... iOS 4 IS totally gonna rock, even more so when it's in my iPhone 4 :) Got my finger on the pre-pre-order button already

Last edited:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think Steve Jobs is going to give the bank away on the first release.. Nope,,,, no way... nada nada nada... We will see a camera version soon so we can all go out and buy another new iPad, then soon after that version we will see another version with SD expansion slots so we can all go out and buy another version and the story goes on and on... The only lucky ones out of this deal is our kids, spouses and friends who get the hand-me-downs. :D

Isn't it amazing how the world turns

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that Steve Jobs held back on the camera for purely commercial reasons is a bit too cynical.
Like everything else about the iPad his aim was to keep it as simple and problem free as possible for the initial release while testing the waters.

And yes subsequent models will always be better but that's normal for evolution. If they ain't extinction awaits....

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think Steve Jobs is going to give the bank away on the first release.. Nope,,,, no way... nada nada nada... We will see a camera version soon so we can all go out and buy another new iPad, then soon after that version we will see another version with SD expansion slots so we can all go out and buy another version and the story goes on and on... The only lucky ones out of this deal is our kids, spouses and friends who get the hand-me-downs. :D

Isn't it amazing how the world turns

Ay Capt! Agree with you wholeheartedly!
And the queueing will start once SJ makes another announcement next year !
You don't see people queueing for Dell or HP products.....

Let's face it.....early adopters of Apple products will always get to play with the devices earlier than the rest.....but we may get stuck with it once the 2nd Gen comes out.

The thing is to decide whether the 2nd gen warrants an upgrade for us.

Most reactions

Latest posts