What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A n00b in need of help

JosepHenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys. I had just gotten an unjailbroken ipad from a friend and I accidently upgraded to version 4.3 (BF293LL). Is there I way I can downgrade to a jailbreakable version?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Do you want to downgrade so you can jail break untethered? The work on an untethered version for 4.3 is about complete - maybe even is now complete, there were some reports this morning to that effect - but if there's another reason, just let me know...

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

JosepHenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whats the difference between tethered and untethered? My friend doesnt know anything about jailbreaking so I doubt she can supply me with an SHSH blobs of iOS 4.2. =/

OP
J

JosepHenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed the link and this is what I got from it. Please tell me if Im wrong. Untethered: Kind of like a permanent jailbreak? Tethered: Temporary jailbreak? Since its verision 4.3 Im guessing Ill have to do a tethered JB. I can live with that until theres a untethered JB.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed the link and this is what I got from it. Please tell me if Im wrong. Untethered: Kind of like a permanent jailbreak? Tethered: Temporary jailbreak? Since its verision 4.3 Im guessing Ill have to do a tethered JB. I can live with that until theres a untethered JB.

Basically, but to put in better words, untethered means u do it once from ur pc and u r dome until u upgrade the iOS again. Tethered, which sux IMO, means u have to always boot into a tethered state. If your iPad re boots for any reason, you will have to run back to your pc to get it up n running again.
Untethered methods are the best ;-)

OP
J

JosepHenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, but to put in better words, untethered means u do it once from ur pc and u r dome until u upgrade the iOS again. Tethered, which sux IMO, means u have to always boot into a tethered state. If your iPad re boots for any reason, you will have to run back to your pc to get it up n running again.
Untethered methods are the best ;-)

Besides having to re-tether the iPad after every you have to reboot for some reason are there any other drawbacks or things that could go wrong with the tethered method? I dont mind if something happens to mind and I need to restore everything but Im also doing it for a friend and I dont want all his stuff to disappear. Yeah I know about backing everythign up with iTunes I feel like its such a hassel to restore things from time to time especially if we have to tether the JB everytime the iPad has to reboot.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Besides having to re-tether the iPad after every you have to reboot for some reason are there any other drawbacks or things that could go wrong with the tethered method? I dont mind if something happens to mind and I need to restore everything but Im also doing it for a friend and I dont want all his stuff to disappear. Yeah I know about backing everythign up with iTunes I feel like its such a hassel to restore things from time to time especially if we have to tether the JB everytime the iPad has to reboot.

Being tethered is no less stable than an untethered jailbreak. Actually, being untethered has the potential to introduce some instability because it is a more complex exercise.
That said, in practice (i.e. the real world), I'll bet you won't notice any difference in stability or reliability between tethered and untethered jailbreaks.
The only real question to answer is can you deal with the inconvenience of being tethered?
My experience is that I very rarely have to reboot my iPad (usually just a couple of times to install the essentials, and then once in a blue moon thereafter), so I have no problems when I am using a tethered jailbreak.

Hope that helps.

Russells iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JosepHenry said:
How do I go about doing a tethered JB for an Ipad verison 4.3?

Google sn0wbreeze on PC or I think it's pwnage tool for mac..

YouTube tutorials are the best step by step guides.. Just make sure they are Jailbreaking a 4.3..

Sent from my ipatch using IPF

Most reactions

Latest posts