What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A mural in progress.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's today's update. The first mural is close to being done and the second artist is working on his half.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the paintings next to the ladder made by the second artist? What are they there for?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's beautiful! Adding some beauty to an otherwise bare wall.. I wish Seattle would allow this type of thing.

Most cities discourage graffiti and murals not approved by the property owners, but as far as I know building owners can approve a mural, so long as it does not violate some zoning ordinance or neighborhood agreement.

hey aren't super common, but I've seen murals in Seattle. On the other hand I haven't been there for a few years, so maybe things have changed.

Found this with a quick Google search: http://seattlemurals.org

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most cities discourage graffiti and murals not approved by the property owners, but as far as I know building owners can approve a mural, so long as it does not violate some zoning ordinance or neighborhood agreement.

hey aren't super common, but I've seen murals in Seattle. On the other hand I haven't been there for a few years, so maybe things have changed.

Found this with a quick Google search: http://seattlemurals.org
Well, I know a store owner who was asked to paint over his mural after the neighborhood complained. He owns the building and the business, but he was asked to paint over the mural regardless. Perhaps that was a unique case, though.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to go out and see if I can find some of the murals depicted therein. I would love to see more of this type of thing here.

Edit: wowsers, looking at the mural map in your link, there are quite a few. I wonder why the local store owner was asked to remove his mural.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the neighborhood, your neighbors, and whether the local consensus is that murals are welcome or detract from the view. Some people have it stuck in their heads that murals are just graffiti/trash, regardless of the actual quality of the art.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to check out a town that's embraced murals in a big way, check out the murals of Chemainus, British Columbia. They've turned the town into a world class tourist destination. http://muraltown.com

The first of the murals was painted 33 years ago in 1982.
Very interesting sci: and clever of a town to attract tourism in that manner.
Reminds me of Sheffield, a small dairy industry town in Tasmania, which also adopted that idea. I drove through there about 15 years ago and it was very interesting.
Here's a link: www.touringtasmania.info/sheffield_murals.htm
In reading I understand they got the inspiration from that Canadian town of Chemainus that you mention.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Chemainus was one of the first towns to utilize murals in this manner. Chemainus was an old logging town that had to think of a way to survive economically when the logging stopped.

Most reactions