What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Lost iPad?

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What can you do if an iPad has "gone missing". Got home yesterday and my iPad was not in my carry bag. The bag was not out of my sight on the way home so I must have left it in the locker at work. These lockers are padlocked during their use so now it is unlocked. It could have been left there on its side and overlooked when I emptied my stuff out. I called and they said they checked all the empty lockers and didn't see it.
My question is: what steps are available to me to try to "track" it?
Thanks for anyone's help!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello! This seems to be a serious situation.

1. Was your iPad a cellular model with cellular data (and probably 3G) activated?

2. If not, there must be wifi at your workplace, so, was the iPad wifi turned on?

If yes is the answer to any one of these questions, and you have another iDevice, you can download an app called 'Find My iPhone' on it, and track your iPad. If you don't have another device, you may want to go to the nearest Apple Store and contact the people there, they might be able to track the iPad.

If your iPad is in an unidentified place, do make sure you put your iPad in lost mode and lock it with a separate passcode from the app. This passcode will be different from your normal passcode and will be used to unlock the device.

Also, there is an option of displaying a custom message on the screen which cant be removed unless unlocked, this feature can be used to display how to contact you on the screen.

LOST MODE IS AVAILABLE ONLY WITH iOS 6 AND LATER.

Good luck!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need another device with find my iphone installed to track a list or stolen iPad. You can log in to your account by going to iCloud.com from any computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What can you do if an iPad has "gone missing"..............
My question is: what steps are available to me to try to "track" it?

Hello - as already explained an iDevice can be located using iCloud - first important step on the iPad is to go into Settings -> iCloud and activate 'Find My iPad'; then enter your iCloud account and select 'Find My iPhone' - if Wi-Fi is on, then a map appears that localizes your iDevice(s) (I have 3 turned on - the blue arrow below is where the map placed my iPad (in my house).

The by clicking on the information box, the second screenshot below appears and offers a number of options, including erasing your iPad - my wife misplaces her Mini in the house often, so I just play a sound and she searches - kind of funny!

SO: 1) You need to have your iPad setup as above; 2) And you need an iCloud account - if you have not taken these steps then you are out of luck; and if so, I hope you have a passcode if the device indeed has been stolen. Good luck! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 10.16.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 10.17.13 AM.png

Most reactions