What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A good keyboard for the ipad?

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks for the responses, and thanks for that long list of threads.

I think I'm going to go with the Apple Keyboard. (Apple® - Keyboard Dock for Apple® iPad™ - MC533LL/A keyboard&cp=1&lp=12)But I have one question; I'm ok with it having to be in landscape. But my main concern is, how is it in one's lap? A lot of the time, I'm using my iPad while lying down. Will this Apple one be comfortable if I do that, or not really? Because I'd rather not also buy that origami workstation, but will if it's an absolute must for what I want to do. And if I need the origami workstation, then I should NOT buy the Apple keyboard with a dock, correct? Unsure if it attaches or not.

Although actually, this one looks appealing: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...?id=1218273818721&skuId=1609376&st=rocketfish apple keyboard&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks for the responses, and thanks for that long list of threads.

I think I'm going to go with the Apple Keyboard. (Apple® - Keyboard Dock for Apple® iPad™ - MC533LL/A keyboard&cp=1&lp=12)But I have one question; I'm ok with it having to be in landscape. But my main concern is, how is it in one's lap? A lot of the time, I'm using my iPad while lying down. Will this Apple one be comfortable if I do that, or not really? Because I'd rather not also buy that origami workstation, but will if it's an absolute must for what I want to do. And if I need the origami workstation, then I should NOT buy the Apple keyboard with a dock, correct? Unsure if it attaches or not.

Although actually, this one looks appealing: Rocketfish™ - Advanced Series iCapsule Keyboard for Apple® iPad™ - RF-ICAP12 apple keyboard&cp=1&lp=1

The keyboard "dock" you've linked is different from the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The one you've linked is apparently the AWK with an attached "stand" to hold the iPad. The Origami Workstation is designed to work with the AWK alone. The AWK's "barrel" at the top of the keyboard snaps into the Origami Workstation and the OW "folds" back to provide a stand for the iPad.

Personally, I wouldn't try to use any keyboard for serious typing while "lying down" but I suspect the OW may be more suitable than the dock (as pictured in your link.) The top of the OW folds into two triangles that attach to one another and provide a more stable stand than the dock.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like the OW and AWK is the way to go. I just wasn't sure because that is a combined $100, but the AWK w/the dock included is $70, just like the AWK w/out dock.

Still deciding between this and the Rocketfish; I'm hoping someone has the AWK w/dock and can share their experience about lying down with it.

iPaReviews

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say apple wireless, Bluetooth keyboard is great for the job in every circumstance.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say apple wireless, Bluetooth keyboard is great for the job in every circumstance.

Do you know how it is with the dock, especially when you are lying down? I feel like it would feel unsturdy, or not work, or something along those lines.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Do you know how it is with the dock, especially when you are lying down? I feel like it would feel unsturdy, or not work, or something along those lines.
The stand alone Apple BT Keyboard works perfectly fine up down or sideways. It is very sturdy. The Apple BT Keyboard dock is sturdy as well, but meant for desktop use. I don't think you could use it lying down.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

By the way, according to the reviews of the dock it can only be used in portrait orientation. I would think that would make it even more unsuitable for use while lying down.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I might go with the OW/AWK combo for $100, but I think I'm more tempted to get the Rocketfish one since it's literally half the price. I'm just a little paranoid now with getting third-party ones, but the reviews for this have been pretty good. Then again, so were the ones for the Zaggmate.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I might go with the OW/AWK combo for $100, but I think I'm more tempted to get the Rocketfish one since it's literally half the price. I'm just a little paranoid now with getting third-party ones, but the reviews for this have been pretty good. Then again, so were the ones for the Zaggmate.

You might want to consider how much smaller the Rocketfish keyboard is than the AWK. If you were happy with the size of the Zaggmate combo case it may work for you, but I find the small keyboards that are no wider than the iPad (in portrait mode) to be annoying, especially since I use a standard size keyboard much of the time. Further, I do a LOT of typing and have found that I can wear out a cheaply constructed keyboard in short order. The AWK is a durable keyboard.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I'm ok with the Zaggmate key size, although I prefer a full keyboard. But it's not a deal-breaker to me. I'm just not sure if I want to fork over $100 for what I could pretty much have for $50.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^^

How do you use it? On a couch or at a desk? And do you have the dock for it, or an additional product?

I'm back to leaning towards shelling out the $100 actually.

OP
O

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the AWK and OW. Love the AWK. Only thing I wish the OW had was a way to lock the iPad in place like it does the keyboard, but otherwise its solid.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the AWK and OW. Love the AWK. Only thing I wish the OW had was a way to lock the iPad in place like it does the keyboard, but otherwise its solid.

The advantage of the design is that it allows both the generations of the iPad and iPads with and without cases to fit.

Most reactions

Latest posts