What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good evening to all,

I have been doing some much needed reading on this awesome site, and have found very useful information, but I still have a few questions.

I am still on the fence about jb my pad, as I had done the 3.2.1 update on the 15th ( one day after getting it and before I thought of jb it) and now know that I will have to wait for a new spirit update to jb.

Once this new update does in fact come out, I will most likely jb my pad to get what I am looking for and need out of this toy.

Now to my questions:

1) after doing all the proper steps and finally doing the jb, is there a way for me to get firefox as my Internet explorer.

2) will I be able to use thunderbird as my mail client?

3) will I be able to load Adobe flash and reader to the pad?

4) will I be able to separate into folders my movies, pictures and the such?

I know that once jb I will be able to finally multitask and be able to do more than one thing at a time, but for me to run my business effectively I need to use the above while doing other things.

I am not looking to play games or music as I have a pc and gaming counsel's for that stuff, I just want to be able to use this as it was sold to me like a laptop with just a smaller hard drive.

This is my first Apple product I have ever owned, and so far with it being just out of the box I am happy, but need more and more to keep me happy.

Any and all help on these questions is great full. Thank you for your time look forward to being here for a while reading and learning.

Dafe.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
1) No, there is no firefox browser for the ipad.

2) No, you must use the ipads built in Mail app. There are some other 3rd party mail apps but they still are not as good as the default mail app.

3) There is a version of flash that has been ported to the ipad for jailbroken ipads but it is not full flash and not everything will work.

4) Movies, music and playlists all sync just as they are setup in itunes and cant be rearranged directly on the ipad. Photos sync over in how ever they are set in folders on your PC, again you cant move them around on the ipad.

OP
Dafe1er

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the point to jb again is? I guess you can't have everything in the world.

I thank you for your response, and maybe one day I can fully enjoy the iPad like I want to, but until then I will still be reading and looking at what is available for it now.

Thanks again.

Dafe.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
So the point to jb again is? I guess you can't have everything in the world.

I thank you for your response, and maybe one day I can fully enjoy the iPad like I want to, but until then I will still be reading and looking at what is available for it now.

Thanks again.

Dafe.

The ipad is not a computer with a fully open operating system like windows,OSX,Linux.

it is running a mobile OS that is very restrictive and secure. For the most part none of the apps communicate with each other except for a few jailbroken apps.

its a great device and I can do most of my work as an IT guy with it. But I cant do everything that a full fledged PC OS can do. Like they say, the ipad is a new category of devices in-between Smartphone and Laptop. Its more of a content consumption device. Surf the web, read emails, check the news/weather, listen to music, play movies.

OP
Dafe1er

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am coming to find that out now after the fact. I think that for the most part this is a great device and think it will go a long way, but I am like most people looking to get the most out of what I have for the least amount of money.

I am keeping this as I have made a few sales just in using it for 5 days now and think that it helps me sell my services very well. I do have a main computer so for surfing and mailing the ipad works great, I just was hoping to be able to use ff, as I have never used safari and it does take some getting use to.

Again thanks for your help, you are very quick and resourceful and you remind me of when I was a super mod at a few sites.

Keep up the great work brother.

Dafe.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...I just want to be able to use this as it was sold to me like a laptop with just a smaller hard drive.

I am keeping this as I have made a few sales just in using it for 5 days now and think that it helps me sell my services very well.
If you are in sales, you need to take lessons from the person who "sold" you your iPad! People who think (or who are sold on the idea) that an iPad is a laptop or netbook in a different package are generally disappointed. You're not going to like hearing this, but in order to meet all of your requirements, a small laptop or netbook might have been a better choice.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Might", but then it is still a new device with a lot of potential.
He's got to think out of the box/laptop.

Perhaps as a sales person he needs to look at what the iPad does well and adapt his technique accordingly. It's easier to hand over an iPad to a customer than a laptop (my sony weights a ton).

If BMW and Mercedes are looking at iPads for sales staff maybe it has some potential.

OP
Dafe1er

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with both of you. I own a detailing company and having the ability to hand my customers my ipad to show them my work first hand, it is a great selling point for me.

I think that in the future that this will most likely become what we are looking for it to be, but for now I am enjoying it and think that I can get great use out of it. Like I had said before, I have a PC and can do what I can not do on the iPad on the PC.

Like everything else that is new and just coming out of beta testing it takes time for developers to listen and come out with more things for there customers.

All hale the future of IPAD.

Dafe.

stevebostedor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadshow.com
You guys do need to understand that the iPad is limited like this because the hardware is limited. If Apple were to put the hardware required to run a full desktop operating system into the same size of a device, the price would be out of the range of anything that normal people could ever afford.

Until the price of the hardware is low enough to meet that market, Apple needs to limit what can run on the device so that it doesn't crash often and delivers the best user experience of any tablet ever released. They have succeeded quite nicely with the iPad and iPhone.

You hear of other smart phone owners rebooting often - it's because the manufacturers decided to open up multitasking before the hardware was ready in efforts to compete with Apple. The same is true for those of us who jailbreak. We put up with the crashes and do so willingly knowing that we're pushing the device to do something that is outside of the hardware design.

Flash destroys every mobile device that it is enabled on today. It's recklessly insecure and consumes way too many resources for the small benefit of running it. For these reasons, coupled with the lack of desktop class hardware in a light tablet device, Apple has chosen not to adopt Flash on the iPad.

If you're looking for a full desktop operating system, perhaps a netbook is a better choice for you. If you're looking for full portability and a great experience surfing the Internet, reading email, playing games, watching movies, listening to music, etc., there is nothing better than the iPad.

OP
Dafe1er

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I am just about ready to test my device, and do the dam thing, but have what I hope to be one last question for you all.

once I jb my device, how can I get my cell phone's wifi (which is serviced through Sprint) to work with the Ipad so I don't have to get a mifi hot spot or what not and pay another monthly fee for this??

I have a Hero by Google phone 3G with unlimited data and my IPAD is a 32gig, wifi only device.

Thanks to all that help.

Dafe.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot tether a phone and an iPa for internet, if that's what you're asking.

You don't have wireless capability at home/office/other? Should have gone with the 3G in that case..

Loccy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot tether a phone and an iPa for internet, if that's what you're asking.

You don't have wireless capability at home/office/other? Should have gone with the 3G in that case..

Totally wrong. My iPad tethers just fine to my HTC Desire using the Android 2.2 wireless tethering app. It depends on your phone. If your phone can share the 3G connection over a wifi network (without any ad-hoc'ery) then your iPad will connect to it just like any other wifi network. I bought my non-3G iPad solely on that basis.

crainecw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Root your Hero (if you haven't already) and install wireless tether app. Go to the xda developers forum if you need help. I will be tethering my iPad (arriving tomorrow) to my Nexus One using the 2.2 wifi hotspot capability, but wireless tether works just as well. You can DM me if you have any questions. Enjoy.

Most reactions

Latest posts