What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few question to iPad Mini users.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard it cost the same as the iPad 2. Is it true?
This is from the US Apple Store:

image-891920008.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The screen on the iPad Mini is has a slightly narrower range of colors available than the screen on the iPad Air. This knocks it from the best two or three tablet screens on the market (the Pad Air), to about 5th or 6th place. It is a matter of concern only if you do a lot of things on the iPad that need super accurate colors. And, honestly, if your color needs are that demanding you're probably tied to a calibrated desktop monitor.

So, non-issue for all but a very few users.

Typing speed/mistakes are going to depend heavily on the user, and practice. The Mini is far better for those who like to thumb type (especially in portrait). People who use a touch-type style are probably going to find the iPad Air (in landscape) more comfortable. Hand size also plays a bit (pun intended) roll.

For most practical purposes the Pad Mini and iPad Air are identical, other than their screen size. Touch targets are smaller, and therefor slightly more finicky. I hear very few complaints from Mini users on this subject, so I figure that it's either a complete non-problem, or that they quickly adjust. I've had a little experience using another person's non-retina iPad Mini. Using it normally I found it perfectly useable, however it was a great deal harder to play with when sharing the view. I was always missing the tap target when the Mini was not directly in front of my eyes.

The battery life is slightly less than the full sized iPad. I think it is supped to be rated for about 9 hours. This varies, a lot, depending on screen brightness, apps being used, and any background apps or services running. People have tested it running videos (and most other stuff turned off) for more than the rating. On the other hand I ran my iPad air dry playing a heavy graphics game in about five hours. I doubt the Mini would do better.

It crashes about as often as the iPad Air. iOS 7 has been less stable than previous version of iOS, mostly because they rushed it. It has however been improving with each update, iOS 7.1 being the most recent. I expect that it will be just as stable as previous iOS versions soonish. That said, it does ok.

Hold in mind that crashes on an iOS device are rarely as catastrophic as they used to be on desktops. Usually you just start the app again, and it continues right where it left off. Files are rarely lost, because they are constantly updated while the app is running.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The screen on the iPad Mini is has a slightly narrower range of colors available than the screen on the iPad Air. This knocks it from the best two or three tablet screens on the market (the Pad Air), to about 5th or 6th place. It is a matter of concern only if you do a lot of things on the iPad that need super accurate colors. And, honestly, if your color needs are that demanding you're probably tied to a calibrated desktop monitor.

So, non-issue for all but a very few users.

Typing speed/mistakes are going to depend heavily on the user, and practice. The Mini is far better for those who like to thumb type (especially in portrait). People who use a touch-type style are probably going to find the iPad Air (in landscape) more comfortable. Hand size also plays a bit (pun intended) roll.

For most practical purposes the Pad Mini and iPad Air are identical, other than their screen size. Touch targets are smaller, and therefor slightly more finicky. I hear very few complaints from Mini users on this subject, so I figure that it's either a complete non-problem, or that they quickly adjust. I've had a little experience using another person's non-retina iPad Mini. Using it normally I found it perfectly useable, however it was a great deal harder to play with when sharing the view. I was always missing the tap target when the Mini was not directly in front of my eyes.

The battery life is slightly less than the full sized iPad. I think it is supped to be rated for about 9 hours. This varies, a lot, depending on screen brightness, apps being used, and any background apps or services running. People have tested it running videos (and most other stuff turned off) for more than the rating. On the other hand I ran my iPad air dry playing a heavy graphics game in about five hours. I doubt the Mini would do better.

It crashes about as often as the iPad Air. iOS 7 has been less stable than previous version of iOS, mostly because they rushed it. It has however been improving with each update, iOS 7.1 being the most recent. I expect that it will be just as stable as previous iOS versions soonish. That said, it does ok.

Hold in mind that crashes on an iOS device are rarely as catastrophic as they used to be on desktops. Usually you just start the app again, and it continues right where it left off. Files are rarely lost, because they are constantly updated while the app is running.

Ah thank you. Already mace up my mind.

ugv92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's oriented landscape then typing is more like typing on a small physical keyboard. Portrait is more like typing on a big iPhone.

Not sure about apps.

Battery life is really good-I have about 9 hours of use and 12 hours of standby on average with heavy use (browsing the internet and listing to pandora, etc) but I also turn off location services, put the brightness on auto and close out apps I'm not using.

The only crashes I've had were with chrome and it's only crashed once. image.jpg

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Typing on my Mini has been surprisingly pleasant, and productive. The keyboard is small, but amazingly accurate and discerning. (Mine's in a Survivor case and this does make the bottom row a bit harder to get at, but no biggie.) But I also have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I feel is one of the finest, most accurate, mnost pleasant to use keyboards ever invented. It works perfectly wit the Mini. The Mini has just about replaced my iPad2, even though I never would have thought it possible. (I have the wifi, Retina, 128g.)

iPadMarmoset

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, ok.

What about the color gamut? Is it better than those of the Retina one?

Don't know what you mean about colour gamut but the retina screen is fantastic. Coming from a Samsung device where the colours are very vivid they may look a bit washed out on the retina, but I think they are more realistic.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I manage to borrow one from my friend. I used it for a day. Didn't like it.

Keyboard buttons are too small for me. I was used to the larger iPad so.........

Battery life didn't last for my daily use.

Viewing photos wasn't that great. I guess it was too small for me to play games and watching videos.

Some games aren't optimized for it.

I guess I should stay in a larger iPad. 9-11 inch devices were my type for computers, so I guess it may apply too for tablets. Anyways thanks for the helpful answers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. There's a reason Apple chose to come out with the full sized iPad first. It was the size that they thought most useful for most things. While the iPad Mini certainly has it's uses and it's supporters, I don't think it would have had the same initial success as the original size.

Apple even told us this at a keynote, though they were mostly talking about why the had not come out with a smaller iPad at the time. Some people thought this was Apple saying they would never make a smaller iPad; but if you listen closely they were only saying why they would not make a smaller iPad that worked like the current crop of small tablets.

Anyway, enough blabbering. I'm glad you had a chance to try out the Mini and get a first hand impression of how it works for you. Me, I wan't both, but can only afford the one, for now. So I've got the one that I like best for the things I do most.

fjpoblam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To your questions:
1. I make the usual typing mistakes (i.e., no more, no less). Like many, I suspect, my manner of typing is the blend of touch-typing that involves quick use of forefingers.
2. Apps optimized? Nope, no difference between the mini and the regular iPad that I can detect. (See my general comments below.)
3. How long does the battery last? All day, 7AM through 10PM. I'm not a gamer or a video watcher. I design and maintain websites on it, and do art, write, do email, and browse. Simple-minded stuff, as it were.
4. Crash? Only twice in my long ownership.

FWIW: I had an iPad2, bought the mini, and zapped the 2 and gave it to my mother-in-law. Mi esposa still has her 2. I also have an iPhone (4S) and we both have MBPs. This gives me lots of places to test the designs I do on the Mini. My Mini is my main squeeze. It does everything I need: Textastic for code editing and FTP, ArtStudio for graphics, and a host of other carefully selected apps. I fetch out the MBP only for routine backups and maintenance. I think you'll have no problem enjoying a Mini. (Matter of taste, though: listen to everybody!)

Planet iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. How many typing mistakes have you done when typing in it. Is it cramped to type?
This all depends on the size of your fingers. Most people don't have a issue with it but even if you do there are many aux keyboards that can be used with it.

How long does its battery last?
This will depend on many factors like your brightness setting, and which options are being used. Around 10 hours is typical.

How many times does it crash? In what apps?
Never for me. The only iPads that I've seen crash are those modified by the user.

Most reactions

Latest posts