What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A dumb GPS 4G iPad question?

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar: I went on the Apple Store iPad Introductory Session on Saturday, and the presenter seemed to think that there would be a solution, although he didn't explain whether that would be hardware, software, firmware or whatever.

I'm not techie enough to know whether he is correct or not but I would have thought that if it was an insurmountable problem, staff would have been told?

Do you have any views on a possible way around this problem?

RealMarine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm completely baffled. I've just read this elsewhere - Navfree features onboard maps that are stored directly onto your device so there is no need for a constant data connection whilst driving. It also allows you to browse maps anytime, anywhere without paying for data connections.
Then I find this -
In order to have a built in gps chip you need a 3g/4g model, the wifi only model does not have the GPS chip. It won't matter if you have an app with maps or not, without a means to link to a GPS signal, you can't do navigation. HELP
I have IPad 3 16 WiFi. Today I asked navfree to guide me to my local hospital (as a test). In the house with wifi the maps came up with the route all laid out. If I clicked 'Start Route Demo' it talked me all the way to the hospital but when I got in the car and drove, the map was still there but nothing moved and no voice instructions. Who is right please. Am I wasting my time with just a WiFi Ipad ? Many thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm completely baffled. I've just read this elsewhere - Navfree features onboard maps that are stored directly onto your device so there is no need for a constant data connection whilst driving. It also allows you to browse maps anytime, anywhere without paying for data connections.
Then I find this -
In order to have a built in gps chip you need a 3g/4g model, the wifi only model does not have the GPS chip. It won't matter if you have an app with maps or not, without a means to link to a GPS signal, you can't do navigation. HELP
I have IPad 3 16 WiFi. Today I asked navfree to guide me to my local hospital (as a test). In the house with wifi the maps came up with the route all laid out. If I clicked 'Start Route Demo' it talked me all the way to the hospital but when I got in the car and drove, the map was still there but nothing moved and no voice instructions. Who is right please. Am I wasting my time with just a WiFi Ipad ? Many thanks.

The wifi+3/4G Models have the built in circuitry to handle GPS signals. The circuitry is shared with the cellular data circuitry and isn't present in the wifi only iPad. So,a wifi only iPad can't receive GPS signals,won't run GPS apps and won't be able to determine your position.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RealMarine said:
Then I find this - In order to have a built in gps chip you need a 3g/4g model, the wifi only model does not have the GPS chip. It won't matter if you have an app with maps or not, without a means to link to a GPS signal, you can't do navigation. HELP

Yes, without a gps chip it cannot know your location once you leave wifi, so it cannot guide you. When you are on wifi, it can determine your location by other means. Your only option if you want nav is to get a gps receiver that links with your iPad via a Bluetooth connection. Then, with that receiver near your iPad you can do nav with navfree and its on-board maps.

RealMarine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks both for your speedy replies. It seems I have been wasting my time trying. Thanks anyway. I understand it now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RealMarine said:
Thanks both for your speedy replies. It seems I have been wasting my time trying. Thanks anyway. I understand it now.

Get a dual xps150 from amazon and you are in business.

spaghetti head

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPhone, the Maps app knows where I am without cell service, it just can't show me. I can be somewhere with no service, go to the Map apps, and drop a pin at my location. When I do have service and open the Maps app, the pin will be where I was when I dropped it. I haven't tried this on my iPad w/ 4G, but I assume that it would also work this way.

Most reactions

Latest posts