What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a data connection not currently allowed

Bmischel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the iPad. Recently bought the ipad2 with 3g and have been getting a message 'a data connection not currently allowed'. Any idea what this is and what I can to stop it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen several reports of people having the exact same problem - although with the iPhone4. Their solution seems to have been either to

(a) Power the device down, remove the SIM card, power the device up, power the device down, insert the SIM card and power it on again.

(b) Reset and re-enter all the network settings.

If you've not already tried it, you might also try the iPad's 'fix all problems' cure of completely powering the device down (hold down the Power switch for a couple of seconds) and then powering it on again. It fixes a whole load of unexplained problems - a bit like rebooting your PC.

Let us know if this works - if not we'll try some more 'interesting' solutions...

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!!

Tim

OP
B

Bmischel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I have seen several reports of people having the exact same problem - although with the iPhone4. Their solution seems to have been either to

(a) Power the device down, remove the SIM card, power the device up, power the device down, insert the SIM card and power it on again.

(b) Reset and re-enter all the network settings.

If you've not already tried it, you might also try the iPad's 'fix all problems' cure of completely powering the device down (hold down the Power switch for a couple of seconds) and then powering it on again. It fixes a whole load of unexplained problems - a bit like rebooting your PC.

Let us know if this works - if not we'll try some more 'interesting' solutions...

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!!

Tim

Thanks for all those suggestions and the warm welcome.

Tried the power on and off trick. Tried the sim in and out trick. Not sure about re entering all my settings. Not really sure where to start on that one.

The signal bar suggests I have almost full strength. But still I'm getting that message.

Grrrrr....

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
From Australia.
Sounds like a service authentication problem to me, your provider may be overwhelmed by new client authentication procedures.
Armed with your new contract data, check with your provider's customer service that authentication has been effected correctly.
The original message indicates your contract number is not yet unblocked on the 3G network.
Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This last suggestion sounds a great one to me. I hadn't thought of that! How recently did you sign up for your contract? As the last poster suggested, sometimes it can take a while before your SIM card is authorised on the network.

Tim

OP
B

Bmischel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. Contacted my provider (telstra) and I wasn't processed correctly. Should be good now.

Thanks for all your help!!

I look forward to playing with my iPad now!!

Most reactions

Latest posts