What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of ????

mutts2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie (4 days) so please be kind.

Navigation...do you "shut down" (hit home) to go from app to app or app to the web (via Safari)? The apps cannot be "open" in the "background"? I am aware of the 9 web sessions.

Browser Favorites in I.E....any way to download them into Safari?

Download the iPad user's guide...I've only been able to link to it. I'd like it to reside locally on my iPad.

Thanks,
Mutts

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
(1) You start a new app you must hit the home button to leave the current one. Then go to the new app and tap on it.

Unless, you've already run that app recently. Then you can double tap the home button to get a list of recent apps. These apps may or may not be running in the background, depending on what services they use and what you had them doing.

2) I don't know of any direct way to do it. There are ways to import Firefox (via an app) and Safari (using iTunes) bookmarks, so you might be able to do a kind of hop skip from IE to one of them and then to the iPad.

There is probably an easier way, but you'll need another IE user to chime in for that.

3) You have two choices.

Easiest: Download iBooks (free) and then download the iPad Users Guide from the iBooks Store (also free). iBooks is in the App Store. The iBook Store is accessed through the iBook app.

Good but more involved: You can download the pdf version on your computer and sync it with any pdf reading app through iTunes. That would include iBooks, but the epub book version you get in store will look better.

GoodReader is an excellent choice for reading pdf and other files.

BTW, you can find a link to the pdf version of the manual in my sig.

Last edited:

Sridhar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to use a better browser than safari like iCab which has tabs, downloading feature (including YouTube), ability to import bookmarks from your desktop/laptop browsers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I would like to convert PDF to ePub myself using PDF to eBub Converter, it saves lots of money.:D

There is also Stanza for OS X and Calibre for just about any OS. And you can put them in iBooks using iTunes to sync.

I've used Stanza recently, and Calibre several months ago. Both work fine, though I've never converted from PDF. I was mostly converting non-DRM .mobi and some .rtf files.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another fan of iCab here, especially as you can go full screen and lose the navigation bar when streaming. Pet hate in safari.

Most reactions