What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of questions about the iPad 2

tom1252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am completely undecided on the iPad 2 at the moment but as I am in the UK, I have till the 25th March.

I have had the 1G iPad since the summer and love it. I said original there would have to be big improvements for me to consider the iPad 2. But as soon as I saw it I wanted it.

So before i rush off and get one, I have a few questions.

Am i right in thinking none of the current apps will use the 9x faster graphics and 2x processing speed?

What sort of apps that use the above will their be?

Also the smart cover looks great.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great question - well, I'm stuck (as usual) on the delayed train on the West Coast of Scotland - at least the bar is open...

OK - I'd be interested to know too...I was down in the Apple Store in Aberdeen today and they didn't know...trying to keep my credit card in my pocket - down, boy, down...

Tim
Scotland

macman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are correct with the current apps. Developers will quickly come up with updates that allow current apps to use the faster graphics and speed.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Current apps will indeed see a benefit. The CPU itself is faster, and dual core, and has twice the on-die RAM. That alone would show a definite speed increase even on existing apps.

Michael

macman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be nice for some of the more graphics intense apps. Some of those get laggy and choppy.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apps that will use the processing power will be apps like photobooth and iMovie.

You probably won't notice any difference with current apps, just that they will remain open and will not close due to the higher RAM

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There will be some improvement for all apps, though most apps probably won't be noticeable. It will hardly be 2X or 9X, but it should make a difference for some apps. There are two reasons for this.

One; even though the app may not be optimized for the dual core, the iOS is. Anything that makes iOS and it's services faster is going to have a positive effect on all apps.

Two; some apps make heavy use of graphics, but all apps use it to some degree. This does not depend on the app being optimized most of the time, because most of the time access to graphics is built into iOS. The more an app does with graphics, the greater the apparent speed boost.

Of course many apps are already very responsive. While they are going to run faster, it won't make any difference to the user if there was no perceivable or significant lag to begin with.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are apps right now that monitor their frame-rate and go as fast as possible. Same app runs "good" on say an iPhone 4 but sluggish on iPhone 3GS. Same app. Many are not at optimum frame-rate on an iPad and there will be a noticeable difference on the iPad 2.

No different than when the iPhone 3GS came out, and then iPhone 4. You could tell the difference even on apps that were not updated at all.

The whole experience seems to be snappier, based on what I am reading from those who actually used the iPad 2 yesterday.

Michael

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are apps right now that monitor their frame-rate and go as fast as possible. Same app runs "good" on say an iPhone 4 but sluggish on iPhone 3GS. Same app. Many are not at optimum frame-rate on an iPad and there will be a noticeable difference on the iPad 2.

No different than when the iPhone 3GS came out, and then iPhone 4. You could tell the difference even on apps that were not updated at all.

The whole experience seems to be snappier, based on what I am reading from those who actually used the iPad 2 yesterday.

Michael
I saw some vids ofmipad2 in action. It is alot snappier n faster.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i wot have to repurchase my ipad1 apps to put on ipad2 will i? do i jus transfer via itunes maybe? never had to mess with app in itunes sorry

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You own the apps. They are on your computer and when you sync the new iPad with the computer, you would download the apps onto it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
so i wot have to repurchase my ipad1 apps to put on ipad2 will i? do i jus transfer via itunes maybe? never had to mess with app in itunes sorry

Yes just back up your current iPad and when you purchase your new iPad sync every thing you had before. Developers will upgrade their apps to support dual processor as needed. It really is not an issue. enjoy your new iPad when you receive it

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Setting my alarm so I can order online early on the first day.
Given all those prelaunch romours about supply chain problems they might be limited initially.

Getting to old to be bothered with delayed gratification :)

OP
T

tom1252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just been watching the video unveiling the iPad 2 and they showed an app called garage band. Will this be compatible with iPad 1?

Most reactions

Latest posts