What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A big ipod touch?

xoshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally thought of the ipad as a big ipod touch also....until I actually got my ipad 2. I use the ipad way more on a daily basis than I ever used the ipod touch.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
USERNAME_ said:
Is the Ipad just a big ipod touch because that is what I see a lot of people referring to it as?

I have an ipod touch but am considering buying the new IPAD. Using the internet on my touch gets old as it is slow and very small screen. Is the internet on the new IPAD a lot better than the touch? I sure hope so.

The iPad 2 and the iPod Touch are two completely different animals which complement each other beautifully. I had my reservations as well, but I can assure you that once you have the iPad in your possession, you will agree that it is a total game changer. Go ahead and get the new one before it's not so new anymore. ;-)

OP
U

USERNAME_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USERNAME_ said:
Is the Ipad just a big ipod touch because that is what I see a lot of people referring to it as?

I have an ipod touch but am considering buying the new IPAD. Using the internet on my touch gets old as it is slow and very small screen. Is the internet on the new IPAD a lot better than the touch? I sure hope so.

The iPad 2 and the iPod Touch are two completely different animals which complement each other beautifully. I had my reservations as well, but I can assure you that once you have the iPad in your possession, you will agree that it is a total game changer. Go ahead and get the new one before it's not so new anymore. ;-)

Ipad 3? I may wait for that.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
USERNAME_ said:

LOL! I had a feeling that was coming. Yes, better camera soon I believe, and lately more rumblings about the retina display (probably at a higher price).

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USERNAME_ said:

LOL! I had a feeling that was coming. Yes, better camera soon I believe, and lately more rumblings about the retina display (probably at a higher price).

Retina display means they have to bump the SoC as well, as even though the CPU/GPU of the ipad2 are pretty fast, they would literally die trying to render "retina" resolutions. Also, ram would have to be bumped as well, as textures would skyrocket in size for games and application sizes would increase further.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Retina display means they have to bump the SoC as well, as even though the CPU/GPU of the ipad2 are pretty fast, they would literally die trying to render "retina" resolutions. Also, ram would have to be bumped as well, as textures would skyrocket in size for games and application sizes would increase further.

Though I was reading even more rumors of the retina display late last week (I believe it was Samsung who had developed a 300 dpi screen for tablets recently), I was really skeptical of it appearing any earlier than 2012. And at what cost? As you say, the RAM required along with the increased processing power necessary to drive a screen of that size would seem to be quite an achievement even for Apple to pull off this year. But, at the same time, I also thought that if they were able to do it with the iPhone and the iTouch (not comparable?) then... well maybe it is possible. Put in the screen, double the RAM, double the CPU/GPU... done! ;-)

Last edited:

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
King.Khoja said:
its not a BIG iPod touch..! its a BIG iPhone 4... w/o cellular service.. :p

And an iPhone minus the phone is a?.??.?? An iTouch perhaps.... :). In all reality, with exception to size, iPad is near exactly a 3rd gen 32gb or larger iTouch. iPad2 is the same as iPhone4 minus retinal and phone.

Seriously folks, nothing wrong with the fact iTouch, iPhone and iPad are so very like each other with exception to size, and of course that "phone" portion.. It all comes down to the 10 inch screen/work surface that allows the iPad to be what it is - and stand out as a much more usable/enjoyable device than an iTouch etc. Unless all you really want is an ultra portable MP3/gaming/wifi etc device. :)

As for the "retinal" display on the next gen iPad..... Everything I have read isn't so much dependent on ram or CPU prowess, yet the fact that a 10 hour battery mark is/was near impossible with 10 inch retinal display performance. Especially given iPad2's reduction in weight and thickness.

As others have said: if it can be done, Apple will do it (when their marketing dept/business plan allows it)..... Wouldn't want to give it all up in iPad3 when 4 and however many more revs will transpire. :)

Can't wait!

Cheers

Most reactions