What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.7" iPad Pro or 10.5" ?

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I promised to give my impressions paying close attention to the size and weight of the 10.5 vs 9.7 pro. The verdict is in... On first impressions, I can't tell much of a difference between the two as far as weight goes... The 10.5 feels bigger though (which it is). The screen feels significantly larger than the 9.7" in a good way. That extra bezel space on the 9.7" seems unnecessary and I'd much rather have more screen and less bezel in similar sized package. So, first impressions are pretty positive. Hope that helps...

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I promised to give my impressions paying close attention to the size and weight of the 10.5 vs 9.7 pro. The verdict is in... On first impressions, I can't tell much of a difference between the two as far as weight goes... The 10.5 feels bigger though (which it is). The screen feels significantly larger than the 9.7" in a good way. That extra bezel space on the 9.7" seems unnecessary and I'd much rather have more screen and less bezel in similar sized package. So, first impressions are pretty positive. Hope that helps...

Glad to hear this now how does the reset of it compare?
responsiveness
pencil
speed

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear this now how does the reset of it compare?
responsiveness
pencil
speed

Responsiveness is at least on par with the other Pros from 2015-16...

Probably a little better but I'm not really sure as the older Pros were also very responsive.

I actually don't have an Apple Pencil so I can't comment on that.

And as for speed, I do actually notice a difference when scrolling on webpages. It's a minor difference but an improvement nonetheless... it's like where sometimes the webpage might stop scrolling for a split second and then jump, now that doesn't happen at all. Probably has to do with the 120Hz refresh rate and/or A10X... it's just smoother all around. (Not sure actually if that falls under responsiveness or speed but it is noticeable either way).

Haven't played games or anything on it yet, but I did watch an episode of a show from iTunes and that was smooth and sound was crystal clear and loud. Loaded all my apps and movies, shows, ebooks etc... and downloads were fast over 5GHz wifi with no problems whatsoever. Tested out the Kindle app, Evernote, Safari, Mail and everything was smooth and fast.

Battery life seems a little bit better than my 3or 4 month old 9.7" Pro and my year and a half old 12.9... but of course that may just be cause it's brand new. I really put it through its paces this past 24 hours and it was at 59% when I finally decided to charge it again. Charging seems pretty fast too. When I checked how much I had used the iPad with actual screen-on time in those 24Hours it was around 4 hours and some minutes and it was at 59% as stated so I guess 10 hours of mixed use is about accurate.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Responsiveness is at least on par with the other Pros from 2015-16...

Probably a little better but I'm not really sure as the older Pros were also very responsive.

I actually don't have an Apple Pencil so I can't comment on that.

And as for speed, I do actually notice a difference when scrolling on webpages. It's a minor difference but an improvement nonetheless... it's like where sometimes the webpage might stop scrolling for a split second and then jump, now that doesn't happen at all. Probably has to do with the 120Hz refresh rate and/or A10X... it's just smoother all around. (Not sure actually if that falls under responsiveness or speed but it is noticeable either way).

Haven't played games or anything on it yet, but I did watch an episode of a show from iTunes and that was smooth and sound was crystal clear and loud. Loaded all my apps and movies, shows, ebooks etc... and downloads were fast over 5GHz wifi with no problems whatsoever. Tested out the Kindle app, Evernote, Safari, Mail and everything was smooth and fast.

Battery life seems a little bit better than my 3or 4 month old 9.7" Pro and my year and a half old 12.9... but of course that may just be cause it's brand new. I really put it through its paces this past 24 hours and it was at 59% when I finally decided to charge it again. Charging seems pretty fast too. When I checked how much I had used the iPad with actual screen-on time in those 24Hours it was around 4 hours and some minutes and it was at 59% as stated so I guess 10 hours of mixed use is about accurate.

Excellent. Hey is it true that Apple went back to the 3' cord rather than the 6' cord?

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 10.5 has the shorter cord, same as 9.7"Pro. Only the 12.9 has the longer cord I guess...

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 10.5 has the shorter cord, same as 9.7"Pro. Only the 12.9 has the longer cord I guess...

Actually both iPads have the short cord and the 12 volt charger. So to get the fast charging that is advertised we bought a couple of the 29 volt bricks at $49 each and 2 of the 2 meter cords at $29.99 each.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've gone from an iPad 3rd Gen to an iPad Pro 10.5 and I really like it. The size seems perfect for a hand held device and my old iPad looks small now!

Oh yeah... 3rd gen to the 10.5 IPP is a major upgrade in many ways! Congrats!

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If anyone in the UK wants a longer cable 7dayshop sell a genuine Apple 2m cable for £6.39 inc shipping.

Most reactions

Latest posts