What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.3 & Pencil

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried what you said Iheartapple, but mine didn't work. I still have to pair after I turn the IPP off and on again.
Yeah, was a one time wonder, apparently. This morning, after booting no connection… :(

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time I had to re-pair the pencil was after the 9.3.1 update. Otherwise I have not had to do it. Even after I do a soft reset once in awhile. Also note the pencil is in position 1 on the bluetooth list and the only Bluetooth devise is a pair of Bose headphones, used only occasionally and wifi is always on.

rozbloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine doesn't work at all now
Many reboots, reconnects, twist end ... Nothing
Was working before 9.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Apple Pencil had no problem with the iOS 9.3 update. Have you tried getting Bluetooth to forget the pencil before trying to re-pair?

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Apple Pencil had no problem with the iOS 9.3 update. Have you tried getting Bluetooth to forget the pencil before trying to re-pair?

Yes, just tried that after seeing your post, But still a no go after a reboot. I've been keeping mine on all the time lately and then have no problem with it staying paired. It shouldn't have to re-pair after every reboot though. I HOPE they fix this. I even tried a factory reset after the update to 9.3.1 and nothing. Still no luck.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's 9.3.1, but I've noticed that my pencil automatically starts working with the iPad. In fact, when I touch/pick up the pencil after it's been sitting after a long while (say, over night), I can see the Bluetooth icon flash a bit before I even put it to the screen. And the pencil works right away - even after I've turned off or re-booted the iPad.

Sorry I never mentioned this before, but I just now noticed it.

So, if you're having issues with your pencil, maybe try to reinstall a "fresh" version of iOS 9.3.1 or take it to the Apple Store? Cause I think the automatically working behavior is now the norm/standard and if yours isn't behaving so, then there is something not right.

Marilyn

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I took your advice and tried on the phone again with Support, then made a Genius Bar appointment at the local Apple store. Pretty much a waste of an hour just for them to tell me it's a software issue. Duh, I knew that. It didn't happen until their update to 9.3.

He tried on a store IPP and my pencil worked, so then he checked and it was on 9.2.1. So he updated the store IPP to 9.3 and it happened to him also on the store one. So yeah, wasted of time. He did say they have a beta 9.3.2 out and he had it on his Iphone 6, but I don't want more problems testing a beta, I'll wait for the official to come out. I only hope this update addresses the problem.

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found out, how my Pencil-IPP-combo apparently works. If my Pencil is inactive (i. e. standby after some idle time) and I THEN switch IPP off or put it in Airplane mode, the next time I boot IPP or turn off Airplane mode, Pencil reconnects when moved. But if it is actively connected (Bluetooth symbol solid white) and I do one of the above, next time IPP is turned on, there is no automatic connection. Maybe it is a normal Bluetooth behaviour? Now I just wait or try to not use Pencil for some time (until it enters sleepmode) before turning off IPP…

Last edited:

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried that and it didn't work here. I still have to Pair the pencil again. Really get annoying to me now. I hope they fix this soon. Oh well, have to deal with it.

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that and it didn't work here. I still have to Pair the pencil again. Really get annoying to me now. I hope they fix this soon. Oh well, have to deal with it.
Isn't it strange, that there is apparently no uniform behaviour in a simple bluetooth device? Annoying, indeed… [emoji849]

OP
Duffman

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still am suffering with this. So strange. I have a Bluetooth speaker system for streaming XM Radio and the "pad" will see it as soon as I turn it on, but still after ever boot-up I have to re-pair the pencil.....

Duff

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called Apple again about the AP having to be paired every time I turn it off. Theres actually a thread on the Apple Support forum with at least 7 other people having the same problem since the 9.3 update.

Another problem has been happening to me also. Losing the wifi connection at home. I tried everything it says online, the only thing that fixes is turning my router/modem on and off. It's happened numerous times while in the App store downloading or like today updating 4 apps. They would get hung up at half way and I'd reset my router/modem. My android phone doesn't lose connection, so this is another well documented 9.3 problem.

The girl said it should be addressed in the next update, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Hopefully they do fix it though. I have a case number and since having these problems after a few calls to them regarding it, she offered to send me a set of earphones to listen to music with. It was nice of her, but rather have the problems fixed.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just out of Curiosity, is everyone that's saying they don't have this problem on IOS 9.3 or later or on 9.2.1? I only ask because the Apple genius guy didn't have the problem until he noticed his was on 9.2.1 and then updated to 9.3 and had the same problem as in this thread. I had since 9.3 and now I'm on 9.3.1 and both updates had the AP pairing problem when IPP turned off.

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said, I have the problem only when I turn off IPP with active BT connection to AP. If the BT sign is greyed out when turning off or switching on Airplane mode on IPP, they will pair the next time IPP is on again and I move AP. I am on 9.3.1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, got the latest update to 9.3.2 on Sunday. I don't know what they did on it, but still no fix for the AP not being paired after turning off the IPP. So I just keep it on all the time now in sleep mode. Only solution, since Apple is obviously not listening to me or any others that have the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts