9.3 & Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Duffman, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Duffman

Duffman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Since updating to 9.3 my pencil needs to be plugged into the Pro every time I bootup to be recognized. Previously when ever I booted up my pencil was recognized immediately. No having to plug it in.......Anyone else having this problem?

Duff

2. Andy847

Andy847
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was going to say I noticed that also the first time I used the pencil after the update, still having that problem. So it is a bit irritating to have to do it now. Hope they correct it fast.

3. Andy847

Andy847
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I called Apple Support and they know about the problem, they're working on a 9.3.1 update to fix this and I'm sure other problems people are having from what I've read. So may be a little while.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Boot up? Do you turn your iPad off when not in use?

I haven't noticed the pencil problem, but then again I don't turn my iPad completely off (or reset) more than once or twice a week.

5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I havent actually turned my ipad 'off' since before Christmas

6. Duffman

Duffman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Andy847...thanks for the info...

twerppoet.... yeah I actually turn mine off when transporting back and forth from home and work.
    When not in use at my office I usually leave it off. Darn thing is a bandwidth hog. When ever I have it on
    it connects to our wireless in the office and everyone can tell. Web page load slows to a crawl.

Duff

7. Andy847

Andy847
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I usually turn mine off every couple of days when I charge it at night just habit from all my phones and devices I used previously.

8. iheartapple

iheartapple
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, so you guys had to pair your Pencil once and then it connected automatically with IPP each time on boot etc.? With mine, I had to connect Pencil every time I boot or deactivate airplane mode (I put it to airplane mode during nights). It is not possible to connect from Bluetooth menu of IPP, it says, I have to connect Pencil with IPP to be able to use it. So is my device broken? I am on 9.3 already, but the behaviour was like this before, actually since I received my Pencil…

9. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it's broken. My pencil works the same way - sometimes it works right off the bat and sometimes I have to connect it to the Pro to get it to work. So, since it's not hard to do, I just think nothing of it.

I also don't use my pencil on a regular/daily basis. So maybe that has something to do with it...?

Marilyn

10. Andy847

Andy847
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Before 9.3, I don't recall ever having to re-pair the Apple pencil after I first paired with my IPP. Not after shutting off the IPP.