What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.3 & Pencil

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since updating to 9.3 my pencil needs to be plugged into the Pro every time I bootup to be recognized. Previously when ever I booted up my pencil was recognized immediately. No having to plug it in.......Anyone else having this problem?

Duff

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was going to say I noticed that also the first time I used the pencil after the update, still having that problem. So it is a bit irritating to have to do it now. Hope they correct it fast.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called Apple Support and they know about the problem, they're working on a 9.3.1 update to fix this and I'm sure other problems people are having from what I've read. So may be a little while.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Boot up? Do you turn your iPad off when not in use?

I haven't noticed the pencil problem, but then again I don't turn my iPad completely off (or reset) more than once or twice a week.

OP
Duffman

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andy847...thanks for the info...

twerppoet.... yeah I actually turn mine off when transporting back and forth from home and work.
When not in use at my office I usually leave it off. Darn thing is a bandwidth hog. When ever I have it on
it connects to our wireless in the office and everyone can tell. Web page load slows to a crawl.

Duff

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I usually turn mine off every couple of days when I charge it at night just habit from all my phones and devices I used previously.

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, so you guys had to pair your Pencil once and then it connected automatically with IPP each time on boot etc.? With mine, I had to connect Pencil every time I boot or deactivate airplane mode (I put it to airplane mode during nights). It is not possible to connect from Bluetooth menu of IPP, it says, I have to connect Pencil with IPP to be able to use it. So is my device broken? I am on 9.3 already, but the behaviour was like this before, actually since I received my Pencil…

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, so you guys had to pair your Pencil once and then it connected automatically with IPP each time on boot etc.? With mine, I had to connect Pencil every time I boot or deactivate airplane mode (I put it to airplane mode during nights). It is not possible to connect from Bluetooth menu of IPP, it says, I have to connect Pencil with IPP to be able to use it. So is my device broken? I am on 9.3 already, but the behaviour was like this before, actually since I received my Pencil…

I don't think it's broken. My pencil works the same way - sometimes it works right off the bat and sometimes I have to connect it to the Pro to get it to work. So, since it's not hard to do, I just think nothing of it.

I also don't use my pencil on a regular/daily basis. So maybe that has something to do with it...?

Marilyn

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before 9.3, I don't recall ever having to re-pair the Apple pencil after I first paired with my IPP. Not after shutting off the IPP.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mine works most of the time without a need to repair, which happens seldomly enough that I usually spend a minute or two trying other things before I realize it needs pairing again. I've also had to (rarely) force an app to restart when wierd things happen. This all be fore iOS 9.3

This morning I started using the Apple Pencil wihtout even thinking about it, and it worked. I didn't remember that I reset the iPad just before bed until I read this thread. So, I'm still not seeing the issue on 9.3. Or not this time anyway. I rarely turn off the iPad or or Bluetooth, so It's not like I have a lot of data to work with.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I should try to see if not turning off my Ipad Pro helps. I know the rep from Apple said they were aware of the problem when I called though, so hopefully not a problem with my device or Duffman's device.

OP
Duffman

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm on the page with Andy847....after my first pairing didn't need to do it again
.....bootup, pull pencil from holder, start work....(Thats kinds weird sounding....pull pencil from holder.)
After 9.3 ....re-pairing after ever boot.....

BTW how long do we have, or is there even a time limit, to roll back iOS?

Duff

iheartapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange. Mine is working now. I put my IPP into air plane mode last night until I remembered, that I wanted to turn it off during nights. This morning, I booted the IPP, then switched off airplane mode and Tadaa! - there it was, my Pencil, working right away! :D I'm on 9.3.1. Hopefully, it stays like this…

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried what you said Iheartapple, but mine didn't work. I still have to pair after I turn the IPP off and on again.

Most reactions

Latest posts