What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
image.png

Ugh. Update went without incident, but they've "improved" the multitasking bar/thingie yet again, making it even less useful. Now, when you doubleclick the Home button, all you see is one app and slivers of two others, and the icon of only the one in the middle. Sometimes the slivers show no content, so you must scroll each one until its icon appears to learn what they are. Why, Apple? Just...why?!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It seems about the same to me. My Air and Pro look about the same. Here's the Air.

image.png

Maybe you've got a glitch. Tried reseting yet?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Stumbled accross and article that explains what's going on.

When you have Reduced Motion turned on in the Acceisbilty settings swipe controls in the App Switcher view changes. Instead of swiping past apps fluidly the apps swipe by one-by-one (or so it was described).

The other consiquence is that you get a larger view of hte current app, and less view of the upcoming/previous apps.

I'm guessing the idea here is that since you're not sweeping through apps rapidly the before and after bits aren't as important.

It't not a bad feature, I supose, for those that don't deal well with apps spinning by. The problem is that because it's linked to Recuce Motion, you can't have the app switcher work the old way and still keep your reduced motion everywhere else.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Downloaded the new O/S last night and now my iPad2 keeps locking up, needs a hard restart......

Hello - by 'new' iOS, I assume you mean 9.2? And which iPad do you own? Finally, what do you mean by a 'hard reset' - a 'Reset' is done by holding down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then releasing both and waiting for the device to reboot - was that done - sorry, if you already knew the procedure? Dave :)

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
dspoverseas.proboards.com
Yes Dave, that's what I'm doing.
As I said, my ipad is a 2, about 4 years old.
I loaded a large app yesterday which I've since deleted, along with anything I've downloaded in the last week or so in case the memory was overloading but it locked up, then crashed again just now.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes Dave, that's what I'm doing.
As I said, my ipad is a 2, about 4 years old.
I loaded a large app yesterday which I've since deleted, along with anything I've downloaded in the last week or so in case the memory was overloading but it locked up, then crashed again just now.

Hi again - sorry for your continual problem - I'm assuming that you did the 'Reset' correctly; if so, then another question is how much storage do you have in the iPad 2 (my first one bought back in spring 2011; now on an iPad Air 2) and how much is free?

Also, keep in mind that the iPad 2 has only [URL='http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/03/apples_a5_cpu_in_ipad_2_has_512mb_of_ram_same_as_iphone_4_report']512 MB of RAM (i.e. memory) vs. 2 GB in my current iPad - this will greatly impact on the performance of that old iDevice - I suspect w/ the next iOS upgrade the iPad 2 may be 'phased out' - just a guess?

So, let us hear your responses to these questions - a new iPad may be in your future - just a thought?

If still a problem, you might have to 'restore' your iPad from an iTunes or iCloud backup - directions [/URL]HERE for consideration. Dave :)

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Following the advice of a friend I've cleared the caches of Safari and Chrome (which has always worked far better than Safari), turned off all data saving features and closed automatic application reset.
He also wants me to do a complete reset of settings but I'm saving that as a last resort.
On my own initiative I closed "find lost ipad".

Storage is high, not a lot left, I'll reduce that as I go.

It's now running smoother and hasn't crashed after about an hours continuous use so we will see what happens.

Also checked online prices for iPad Air2 128gb ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Following the advice of a friend I've cleared the caches of Safari and Chrome (which has always worked far better than Safari), turned off all data saving features and closed automatic application reset.
He also wants me to do a complete reset of settings but I'm saving that as a last resort.
On my own initiative I closed "find lost ipad".

Storage is high, not a lot left, I'll reduce that as I go.

It's now running smoother and hasn't crashed after about an hours continuous use so we will see what happens.

Also checked online prices for iPad Air2 128gb ;)

Well, the steps above are all 'little strokes' - you did not tell us 'how much' storage is left - see the screen capture below from my iPad 2 - blue arrows show capacity and what is free - please tell us your numbers (just go to Settings, then General -> About).

Not sure that 'Resetting All Settings' will do much good vs. 'Erase All Contents and Settings' and doing a restore (as in my previous link). Dave :)
IMG_4499.PNG

sceadugenga

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
What effect will the reset have on what i have installed?

The problem with my storage is that more than half of it is holding pdf, epub and cbr files, they not really working, just sitting there on call.

Most reactions