What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9-10hrs battery life. What that really mean?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According apple.com:

• Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
  • Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using 3G data network

I'm using my iPad2 for some time and I think my battery drains a bit faster.
So I'm just wondering what that 9-10hrs really mean.

What if my iPad goes to sleep mode with tens of applications opened and no active data connection?

What if my iPad goes to sleep mode with imo.im or other network using app opened? Does the time in sleep with active data connection counts towards 9-10hrs?

How could I be sure that my iPad really last 9-10hrs? Just open one browser tab and surf the web non stop without opening any other application and without turning off to sleep?

Thanks!

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lower the screen brightness just a little will help extend battery life a lot

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i think the 9-10 hour stated is a pretty best scenario optimised time? not the 'norm' maybe?

i've never timed mine. i'm sure its nowhere near 9-10 hours. i'll try it out real soon i think. all i do all day is stay logged into skype and internet via wifi. nothing amounting to any great power drain me thinks.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lower the screen brightness just a little will help extend battery life a lot

Thanks.
But that was not an answer to my question ;) I'm aware of what saves battery (like location services, notifications, etc.).

The questions is: does the sleep mode counts towards theoretical maximum of 9-10hrs if iPad is in sleep mode (with active network connection and many apps opened and with many apps opened but no data connection).

Last edited:

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you worried about? Do you believe that you aren't getting full battery life? There are many ways that people tested the iPad battery.
iPad battery life test - Google Search
There are also several battery apps that will tell you how much times left.
ipad battery app - Google Search

IMHO - what it means is I can take my iPad with me, use it all day, and not have to worry about charging it.

Specifically your question, depending on the backgrounding, a program may drain the battery while sleeping. I've found the worst offenders are location apps and the push/fetch mail apps. Even with that, and my iPad sleeping some of the day, I find i don't have to charge until night time. I don't really have to close apps.

Also, playing galaxy on fire 2 - a 3d game, I can play for hours at a time before having to charge. I could probably play 6 hours before hitting 20%.

The point is, the iPad bettery lasts forever. It is good to drain it down every now and then. (battery calibration).
Apple - Batteries - iPad
If you are truly worried about data use,turn on airplane mode until you need to use data.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i think the 9-10 hour stated is a pretty best scenario optimised time? not the 'norm' maybe?

i've never timed mine. i'm sure its nowhere near 9-10 hours. i'll try it out real soon i think. all i do all day is stay logged into skype and internet via wifi. nothing amounting to any great power drain me thinks.

Thanks!
Would be nice to see the results of whatever test case.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lower the screen brightness just a little will help extend battery life a lot

thanks.
But that was not an answer to my question ;) i'm aware of what saves battery (like location services, notifications, etc.).

The questions is: does the sleep mode counts towards theoretical maximum of 9-10hrs if ipad is in sleep mode (with active network connection and many apps opens and with many apps opened but no data connection).

no:d

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first charge lasted 4-days under light/casual use. For more active periods or extended travel I have the New Trent Power Pack, which is designed to provide a full recharge. I'll see how it goes during an upcoming international travel trip.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is good to drain it down every now and then. (battery calibration).

While that was the case with older Ni-cad battery's that is not the case with Li-Ion or Li-Po battery's.

With Li-Ion and Li-Po battery's they are good for about 1000, charges/discharges cycles. Draining the battery for just the sake of draining and recharging it does nothing but use one of those 1000 cycles.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
the 9-10 hour battery life is for constant 'on' use. switching it into semi off or sleep mode will give you a whole lot more. again, as long as there aren't apps running in memory in the background.

i know with mine from a full charge and nothing on in the background, i get a good couple of days standby time.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually the truth is that APPLE or any other company tries to fool us with these battery numbers...they never mention that the 10 hrs they get is at 50-60% brightness...the brightness is the main cause..and also the background apps...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tested this with a video when I bought my first iPad. I ran the video over and over again on normal brightness and had nearly 13 hours of playing time before the battery finally died. My laptop was lucky to provide 4 hours of constant video.

-t

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is good to drain it down every now and then. (battery calibration).

While that was the case with older Ni-cad battery's that is not the case with Li-Ion or Li-Po battery's.

With Li-Ion and Li-Po battery's they are good for about 1000, charges/discharges cycles. Draining the battery for just the sake of draining and recharging it does nothing but use one of those 1000 cycles.

From Apple
Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

You are talking about battery conditioning - Apple is talking about battery reporting. It is true for Apple Notebooks as well. If you don't regularly discharge the battery, the microchip that monitors the battery does not give an accurate time/percentage - if you don't let it run down every now and then. Also if you cycled 1000 times - assuming that is 10 hours which is a work day, that is three years before it hits 80% battery life - i.e. in three years, using the iPad all day every day, you would drop from 10 hours to 8 hours. In three years - I expect to have a new iPad anyway.

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually the truth is that APPLE or any other company tries to fool us with these battery numbers...they never mention that the 10 hrs they get is at 50-60% brightness...the brightness is the main cause..and also the background apps...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I used to think the same thing - coming from PCs - the PC numbers tend to give the very very very best case scenario. Apple seems to quote an "Average" battery number - that most people can hit without much work.

I have personally experienced -
10 hour plane flight - watched 2 movies and played a 3d video game for 3 hours
Not having to recharge during the day during normal use
I rarely have to adjust brightness, nor do I have to close programs to get the iPad to work all day. I have plenty of apps that could potentially use background network. I don't have 3G built in, so all my data is Wifi (I do have a Mifi so I am always connected).
If I turn down brightness - I'm sure the iPad can last even longer. I am not alone in this either
iPad battery appears to exceed Apple estimates | ZDNet
IPad Battery Tests and Application Performance | PCWorld Business Center
Cali Lewis » Blog Archive » iPad Battery Life Test Results
What is the battery life of the original iPad in "real-world" tests? Can you replace the battery? @ EveryiPod.com

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first day I got my iPad (wifi only) I did not put it down and I got a little over 10 hours with the first charge. I hadn't changed the brightness or anything else, it was just the way it came out of the box.

Now that the newness as worn off I use it about 2-3 hours a day and have to charge it on the 2nd or 3rd day depending on what I have been doing with it.

I do shut down my programs after every use and if I'm not using wifi I turn that off as well. There was one time I was reading on it and I started with 48% left on my battery. By turning the wifi off and lowering the brightness I was able to get 5-6 hours of reading done before it died.

Most reactions

Latest posts