What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

70% of iPad 2s Sold to New Buyers According to Analyst

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that.

You know what I don't like? Stupid consumers.

ipad2.JPG

Directly from apples website. It's not apples fault you can't read.

Wow. Really profound, Trky. Am guessing your mom didn’t wake you up for school until long after the iPad2 went on sale.

Since I was online in the early hours of March 11, I can state that no information was given regarding unavailability or shipping delays when I placed my order at 2:00 PDT.

It was nice of you to show that shipping delay info is now being shown.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that.

ipad2.JPG

Wow. Really profound, Trky. Am guessing your mom didn’t wake you up for school until long after the iPad2 went on sale.

Since I was online in the early hours of March 11, I can state that no information was given regarding unavailability or shipping delays when I placed my order at 2:00 PDT.

It was nice, wasn't it? The stupid part, however, was not.

Let's keep it civil, please.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Amazon accepts preorders on tons of items all the time, and if an item is sold out, it becomes backordered. I fail to see what your problem with Apple is. The iPad 2 does exist: but demand was far in excess of supply. It happens. It's not as if they advertised vapourware (a la Clamcase) and left buyers waiting for months without even a delivery date after taking their money.

Oh, I've no problem with Apple, tzimisce, but I do have an opinion. We all form opinions about companies we do business with. From what I've read about Apple, they have a pretty good track record with their products, so hopefully there will be no product problems down the road.

rew4946

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple reminds me of New Coke years back

Apple has always suckered weak people to stand in lines, sell out in one day Iphones and Ipads. Then watch ebay the next day with $1500 for a 16gb ipad2. What a losser to buy one for double the price. How many people stand in line to sell it on ebay the next day for a 100% or 200% profit. Heck I just happen to be looking for a tablet at Frys and the Windows 7 model for $399 was sold out. The salesman asked if I wanted an Ipad. I told him I would not pay the money for one after hating the Iphone so much that is a poor excuse for a telephone with good computer stuff on it. He told me it was the same price $399. That was on March 9, 2011 and I quess it was discontinued. I did not even know of the Iphone 2 and really did not care once I found out. my Ipad is pretty cool but I would never have paid more than $399 for it. Apple reminds me of the new coke crap that Coke pulled on america years back. I am sitting here watching Ipad 2 on ebay and they are paying double and more for them. I have gaget sickness to but not that bad. I really did not need the Ipad.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score

ipad2.JPG

Maybe try opening your eyes next time? I was watching the apple website like a hawk, and from the moment they went on sale, it stated there was a wait time. It was also like this for the first launch.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:
Maybe try opening your eyes next time? I was watching the apple website like a hawk, and from the moment they went on sale, it stated there was a wait time. It was also like this for the first launch.

I will back you up on this.. They are very good at stating shipping/Wait time as it's standard on their site. The user was just probably too excited to pay attention.

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with ordering from the Apple site. The first iPad was able to be ordered long before it was released and cards were not charged until the merchandise shipped. IMHO, the iPad is worth the wait. Congratulations to second generation owners--I will keep my original for now because it fascinates me today as much as it did last year and it's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Last April 3 was so exciting. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY :ipad-keyboard:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting statistic if true. Add on the original iPad owners like me who will be buying and it looks like apple have another hit on their hands.
I for one would be pleased as it will mean more encouragement for apple to keep improving the device and more encouragement for developers to improve their software.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised by it really - I have friends and colleagues who've been waiting 6 months for the release of the iPad2 before buying one; just because they know how Apple work!

I think you would see a similar statistic if you looked at the number of iphone4 users buying the iPhone 5 compared to 3G, 3GS, and new iPhone owners. I get the impression that skipping generations has become programmed into most Apple consumers now!

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I'm one of those brand-new-to-Apple purchasers and must say that I'm not at all impressed with the way they do business.

How come?

Two words: in stock. I order lots of stuff online. When I find something I'd like to order, most sites state whether the item is in stock or not. In other words, the retailer actually has the stuff it wants to sell. If it is something that must be made to order, that info is stated as well.

Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that. As a consumer, I don't particularly care for that business model.

Apple could learn a lot from Jeff Bezos.

Are you kidding, Amazon has TONS on stuff listed on their website with no release date at all. Heck I had one book on my wishlist for 2 years that still had no release date and isn't even published yet.

Now what did you say about release dates?

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Prasius said:
I think you would see a similar statistic if you looked at the number of iphone4 users buying the iPhone 5 compared to 3G, 3GS, and new iPhone owners. I get the impression that skipping generations has become programmed into most Apple consumers now!

Yes! I prefer to skip a generation because it seems that more significant changes, IMO, occur every other year. That's how I upgrade all my Apple products (except my ColorWare iPod classic) and I don't plan to deviate from that unless something mind blowing happens to change my mind. Let's see what iPad 3 delivers.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you kidding, Amazon has TONS on stuff listed on their website with no release date at all. Heck I had one book on my wishlist for 2 years that still had no release date and isn't even published yet.

I'm gonna say "Dance with Dragons."

Most reactions

Latest posts