70% of iPad 2s Sold to New Buyers According to Analyst

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108 / 0
    [​IMG]

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 blog reports today on the findings of the analysts at Piper Jaffray, who interviewed 236 would-be iPad 2 customers in lines outside New York City and Minneapolis Apple stores on Friday, as well as calling a selection of iPad 2 retailers including Apple stores, Target and Best Buy. The analysts found that 70% of iPad 2 customers did not already have an iPad, in contrast to 23% of iPhone 4 customers who did not already have an iPhone when they purchased their iPhone 4.

Piper Jaffray also found that the buyers were divided up fairly evenly between PC and Mac owners (49% and 51% respectively), in marked contrast to the much larger split between PC and Mac owners who bought the original iPad (26% and 74% respectively. The analysts also found that 65% of customers had an iPhone, but only 24% had a Kindle (although this was up from 13% for the original iPad). Somewhat surprisingly, the number of buyers who intended to use their iPad as an e-reader had fallen to 6% from 19%, and less surprisingly, 17% said they would be using their iPad 2 to play games and run apps, up from the figure of 9% for the original iPad.

Source: Piper Jaffray: iPad 2 totally sold out, 70% to new buyers - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
  2. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Thats a lot of new apple iPad owners. We taking over..lol. I could buy me an ipad2 right now but restraining myself like crazyyy!
  3. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup, I'm one of those brand-new-to-Apple purchasers and must say that I'm not at all impressed with the way they do business.
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0

How come?
  5. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm one of that 70%! And I don't regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  6. Fifi1992

Fifi1992 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too
  7. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two words: in stock. I order lots of stuff online. When I find something I'd like to order, most sites state whether the item is in stock or not. In other words, the retailer actually has the stuff it wants to sell. If it is something that must be made to order, that info is stated as well.

Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that. As a consumer, I don't particularly care for that business model.

Apple could learn a lot from Jeff Bezos.
  8. Rambler358

Rambler358 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    +1
    Yeah, there are some things I'd like to see such as Flash and home screen widgets, but overall I'm glad I got this over a competing Android tablet.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  9. Anomalous

Anomalous iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's called iHope. LOL
  10. Anomalous

Anomalous iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh and iDreams. Can't forget that.
  11. Trky

Trky iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You know what I don't like? Stupid consumers.

[​IMG]

Directly from apples website. It's not apples fault you can't read.
  12. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    umm...no need to call people stupid, really. Perhaps it didn't state the 2-3 weeks shipping info when Aspasia was there ~

Either way ~

That wasn't nice!
  13. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    But Amazon accepts preorders on tons of items all the time, and if an item is sold out, it becomes backordered. I fail to see what your problem with Apple is. The iPad 2 does exist: but demand was far in excess of supply. It happens. It's not as if they advertised vapourware (a la Clamcase) and left buyers waiting for months without even a delivery date after taking their money.
  14. Wing

Wing iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought iPad 1 just 2 weeks before iPad 2 came out and I'm still happy with the 1. Here in Indonesia, street price for iPad 1 still more than 120-140% of its original price. And even iPad 2's street price could reach 175%. So, for the moment, I'm happy with all the discussion about iPad 2, while holding my jailbroken iPad 1 :)
  15. smithvillemike

smithvillemike iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I really can't speak to how good the iPad is since I haven't got mine yet, I will say that I have no problem with the online store. I expected a major rush and knew to order it as soon as I could. I was online at 3am central time and the website worked great. My iPad2 is scheduled to arrive on the 17th and I am very excited. I am jealous of those who have theirs already but I wasn't about to stand in line in the hopes of getting what I wanted. I took the other route and ordered exactly what I wanted and am waiting patiently for it to arrive.

That said if you have a problem with Apple then state specifics. A general statement of how bad they are does nothing.

If you have a problem with someone's post then address the issue. Calling someone names only lessens you.