What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5GB Rogers Data Plan

06Honda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 5GB data plan with Rogers and never use most of the data. The only other data plan is too low. Can I share this current plan and use it on my PC. This way I can disconnect my PC internert connection and save $40, using only one service provider for both devices. Thanks for any help on this.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 5GB data plan with Rogers and never use most of the data. The only other data plan is too low. Can I share this current plan and use it on my PC. This way I can disconnect my PC internert connection and save $40, using only one service provider for both devices. Thanks for any help on this.

How would you plan to do this? A non-jail break iPad cannot be used as a WiFi hotspot, so I'm not clear how you would intend to migrate the unused capacity from your iPad to your PC? Were you proposing moving the SIM card to, perhaps, an iPhone and then setting up a WiFi hotspot with your phone, which is possible?

Tim

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use around 400 MB a month, so like you, the 250 MB plan is too little and the 5 GB plan is too much.

If you aren't aware, Rogers has a $20 for 500 MB data plan for iPads. If you exceed the 500 MB, then you automatically get bumped up to the $35 for 5 GB rate. They call it the 'Flex Rate Data Plan for Tablets'.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/i...y5jHECjCbVzp C VkzElCjCqBTwyl bVzp pzfz 5kzEl

This isn't a pay as you go plan, so you can't sign up for it over the iPad. You need to do it through a Roger's agent. The process is similar to signing up for a cell phone account and they give you a new SIM card.

I signed up for it a few weeks ago. It costs about $30 to set up the account (including the new SIM card). If I don't exceed 500MB, then I'll get that back in savings in a couple of months.

Just to add... I've heard that this plan allows for roaming in the US. I haven't confirmed it yet and don't know how expensive the roaming rate is.

OP

06Honda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou both for the input, much appreciate it. I have no idea if this could be done regarding sharing my plan with my pc, I was asking to see if it is possible.

Renzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not take this for granted but here is what I heard

If you have the USB key 3g from rogers with an account

Open the key and take the sim out of it.

Put it in the ipad

Login with the username password that is linked with the key and it should work

When done take off the sim and put it back in the key, then put the key in the PC and it should work.

Like I said I heard this from a friend but I cannot confirm 100% it works!

Just try it!

Most reactions

Latest posts