What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5G or not 5G....

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
DD2AA03A-91FB-4FAA-B7AB-E30172F582F7.jpeg That is the question. I keep seeing internet banter about Apple devices getting 5G,in the futureand also not doing so. So imagine my befuddlement at seeing this in settings on my iPhone X . It’s also on my iPad, of course....is my internet lying to me or what? L

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of Apple‘s current devices can use 5G, because they all lack the hardware to handle it. Are you sure this really is a 5G network? From your screenshot, this looks like your Wi-Fi is showing that information. Maybe someone named that network 5-5G, just for fun.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
View attachment 86935 That is the question. I keep seeing internet banter about Apple devices getting 5G,in the futureand also not doing so. So imagine my befuddlement at seeing this in settings on my iPhone X . It’s also on my iPad, of course....is my internet lying to me or what? L

Well, as Johanna stated 'not yet' - below a brief description (Source) about Apple's 5G implementation in its iPhones; also, 5G access is quite limited at the moment, i.e. mainly in selected large cities in my understanding, BUT likely will expand quickly as cell providers vie for customers and the advantages of 5G become better known; for me, dumping my cable modem for 'wireless' internet is of great interest! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 11.47.36 AM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as Johanna stated 'not yet' - below a brief description (Source) about Apple's 5G implementation in its iPhones; also, 5G access is quite limited at the moment, i.e. mainly in selected large cities in my understanding, BUT likely will expand quickly as cell providers vie for customers and the advantages of 5G become better known; for me, dumping my cable modem for 'wireless' internet is of great interest! Dave :)

View attachment 86936
And if you're on a limited data plan you could burn through your monthly limit in seconds.

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Not part of the network name. That ends with the first 5. As I had to set up all my devices (7 total, some last fall) to access the internet about 3 years ago, and this wasn’t always displayed that way. I honestly assumed that 5G wasn’t actually a reality here, but it’s just strangely intriguing enough to make me wonder what’s going on here. I also know that some companies straight up lie by using the name 5GE, or whatever to make it look legit. Curious, isn’t it ?

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
5G is available from at least one network in the U.K, so maybe you see it in the network title, even though you can’t use it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it‘s the 5 Ghz channel of your router.

Usually Wi-Fi in Settings just shows the name of the connection, not which kind of network is used. That information is displayed in the status bar.

Most reactions

Latest posts