What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Free Apps?

Danboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When we first turned on our new iPad Air and after setting it up it gave us the option for 5 free apps. It asked if we wanted to download them now and for some reason I answered "not now". For some reason it hasn't shown up again. I think one of them was garage band? Can someone tell me what they were named or how to go about getting them to show up again? Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When we first turned on our new iPad Air and after setting it up it gave us the option for 5 free apps. It asked if we wanted to download them now and for some reason I answered "not now". For some reason it hasn't shown up again. I think one of them was garage band? Can someone tell me what they were named or how to go about getting them to show up again? Thanks.

Using the iPad Air, go to the Featured tab in the AppStore. Scroll to the bottom and press the "Apps Made by Apple" button. Hopefully, the apps that come free with the new Air will appear there as "free."

If that doesn't work, I think you can log out of your account (again, on the Air), and then log back in. I think then you'll see the free apps option.

Hopefully, one of those'll help. If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Should be all three of the iWorks apps: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. I believe the other two were Garage Band and iPhoto (or maybe it was iMovie).

Marilyn's suggestion should show them all to you.

A few other Apple apps, like iBooks and Podcasts have always been free; mostly because they access parts of the iTunes Store.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got all three iWork apps as well as all three iLife apps for free when I got my iPhone 5S. I'm assuming it should be the same for purchasers of the iPad air as well as the iPad mini with retina display.

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I have no use for iphoto, but my wife likes that crap. Can I install it I'm her MacBook? Probably a stupid question.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no use for iphoto, but my wife likes that crap. Can I install it I'm her MacBook? Probably a stupid question.
As your Apple ID is the one which gets these for free: no, it's not possible.

What you would get is an iOS version, which often is different from the OS version, and won't work on a MacBook. (Not compatible)

image-1908960026.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

There is an OS X version of iPhotos available in the Mac App Store (not the iOS App Store); about $15. It's far more capable than the iOS version. Using iTunes on the computer you can sync albums created in the computer version with albums in Photos on the iPad.

You should have gotten a preinstalled copy with the MacBook. Depending on when you bought the MacBook it's likely not the most recent version. You may want to buy the newest version in the Mac App Store, but once you do, like most other stuff in Apple's app stores, you'll probably not have to pay for upgrades again.

Most reactions

Latest posts