What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.1 problem

Tripmaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since upgrading to 5.1 I've had issues where Safari will simply close and return to the home screen, or the screen will go blank, or the iPad will freeze. This usually happens when posting in a forum. Anyone have any thought on this? Any solutions? If this continues I would rather have the old OS.

Pommier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the several months I've had my iPad 2, I've had maybe four instances where something went wrong. In each case simply turning it off and on again solved the problem. This is usually solution number 1, which I assume you've tried. Number 2 would be a reset. A search will show you lots of info about this. It's been covered many times.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't downgrade to an older OS. You can try resetting, restarting or dumping your Safari website data in Settings. But yes my iPad 1 and 2 now crash Safari more often than on previous OS's, too.

Someone mentioned on another thread that doing a clean install of OS 5 (without restoring from backup) might help, but I've not gotten around to trying that out.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever since upgrading to 5.1 I've had issues where Safari will simply close and return to the home screen, or the screen will go blank, or the iPad will freeze. This usually happens when posting in a forum. Anyone have any thought on this? Any solutions? If this continues I would rather have the old OS.

Did you mention which ipad you have? Current of previous version? There has been issues mentioned about problems with ipad1 and the current updates.

As Pommier reported, that is what I do when my ipad2 misbehaves. I have had mine now for 5 months and have not had issues specifically with Safari. Have you tried to restart as Pommier recommended? Also, you may want to try to force close the app by double hitting the home button and find the app in the tray. Once you locate the Safari app it will begin to jiggle with a negative sign in a circle. Touch that and try again. If you have the ipad1, you may want to close out some of the other apps that are "running" to see if it will free up your device a bit.

Good luck. :D

OP
T

Tripmaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I have tried shutting down and restarting. I also closed apps in the open apps bar. I'll see if that helps.

OP
T

Tripmaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tripmaker said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I have tried shutting down and restarting. I also closed apps in the open apps bar. I'll see if that helps.

FYI I have iPad 2

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try turning on Private Browsing in Settings/Safari. That way the app won't accumulate data. I use 5.0.1 on an iPad 2 and have never had a crash using Safari in this mode.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you choose to turn on private browsing, note that it will require you to logon to some sites (including forums) each time. It also affects some YouTube videos, from my experience.

Most reactions

Latest posts