What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4K video

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The question is, does an app exist that even plays 4K video? I doubt the screen is capable of displaying in true 4K.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, should an iPad Mini3 play 4K video?

Hello and welcome to the forum - the r-iPad Mini3 has the screen resolution shown below in the first image, which is packed into a high pixel density because of the small size of the display - the total number is just over 3 MP; also, this device records video at 1080p, i.e. blu-ray resolution (the green box in the second image).

Alternatively, the new 4K resolution technology (see second image below; Source) has a total number of picture elements that approaches 9 MP, nearly 3x that of the iPad Mini3 - if the iPad Mini is to portray 4K imagery then the hardware would need to be greatly improved (certainly possible) and/or a software app (as already mentioned) would need to drastically 'downscale' the resolution to fit the current display. Now, I may be wrong, but that is my current understanding. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 10.20.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 10.21.59 AM.png

OP
R

R0bbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - the r-iPad Mini3 has the screen resolution shown below in the first image, which is packed into a high pixel density because of the small size of the display - the total number is just over 3 MP; also, this device records video at 1080p, i.e. blu-ray resolution (the green box in the second image).

Alternatively, the new 4K resolution technology (see second image below; Source) has a total number of picture elements that approaches 9 MP, nearly 3x that of the iPad Mini3 - if the iPad Mini is to portray 4K imagery then the hardware would need to be greatly improved (certainly possible) and/or a software app (as already mentioned) would need to drastically 'downscale' the resolution to fit the current display. Now, I may be wrong, but that is my current understanding. Dave :)

View attachment 68638 View attachment 68639
Many thanks Dave, explains it well
Rob

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks Dave, explains it well
Rob

Hi Rob - no problem - I own about 700 commercial optical discs (movies & documentaries) collected over many years - I've replaced half w/ blu-ray discs which are wonderful on my HDTV (1080p) - at my 'retired' age, I have no interest in investing in a 4K TV nor replacing my current optical collection, ALTHOUGH the experience would likely be amazing - ;) Dave

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts