What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G

H

hayseed

I have an iPad 4. That has 4G capabilities. I don,t have any access in my area to use this feature. Is there a way, other than buying a SIM card, to stop this pad from continuously telling what I already know, that I do not have a SIM card.

At first it was cute now it's getting annoying,mean this notification be turned off? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a simple switch you can through to get rid of the notices. Here is another thread where the subject was discussed.

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/cellar-data-reminder.124771/

There are a couple of 'kind of' solutions towards the end of the thread. It come down to three choices.

1) Go ahead and sign up for the free T-Mobile plan. It's free. Who knows. Maybe it will even be useful in an emergency.

2) Turn on AirPlane Mode, then turn BlueTooth and Wi-Fi back on individually. This keeps the cellular data turned off, and (so we are told) prevents the reminders.

3) If you can find a SIM, any old SIM, put it in the iPad. Once in, the option to turn Cellular Data off in Settings > Cellular will appear. Turn it off. Take the SIM out, and you should be good to go.

You can also send some feedback to Apple. They don't normally respond to this feedback form (it says they wont on the form), but every mention of a problem there should move the issue a little higher on their "next bug to squash" list.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

OP
H

hayseed

Go ahead and sign up fo the free t mobile?

I live in a rural town in rural WVa. I did not think this this service was available, to this area. 26726. If it were and if it were free I certainly would. Is there a way to check if I could sign up for this service?

Thanks I will try the trick with the airplane mode

OP
H

hayseed

Mr T you said to sign up for t mobile, that it was free. And you did not know if it were available in my area. Would you know where I can go on the web, to try to sign up for this free service, and perhaps they would tell me whether the service would be available in my area.
I tried to do a search about the subject but found no place where anyone said anything was free, and or how to apply.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. Not me. Another person who was having problems getting the SIM to stop pestering him signed up for the Free T-Mobile plan. I don't personally know a thing about it.

I'm on Verizon, and I'm most certainly paying for it. ;)

If I remember correctly, it was one of the options he had as a new iPad Air 2 customer with the Apple SIM installed. This SIM lets you sign up with a couple different providers from the iPad's cellular settings; similar to how you could sign up to different AT&T plans with the first iPad.

Here is the thread again: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/cellar-data-reminder.124771/

It was post # 15. You can try asking the OP (Original Poster) of the thread, but it doesn't look like he's been back to visit lately.

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound like I knew about the T-Mobile plan personally, or any of the details. It was just an idea. Something for you to look into. If you can't find it in T-Mobile's offering at there website, then it's probably not an option.

OP
H

hayseed

Okay thanks for your help and sorry about my confusion.

Most reactions

Latest posts