4G LTE vs Cellular AIR2 Versions

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by Kenworth, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Kenworth

Kenworth
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Can someone explain the difference?
    Want to get and AIR2 and want to be able to get the ATT cellular but I see both AIR2 versions for sale?

Thanks, Ken

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no difference, they're both the same version.There is only one version of the cellular iPad Air 2 that will work with AT&T. There are not separate 4g LTE and 3G cellular versions.

3. Kenworth

Kenworth
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks scifan57. My wife bought an air2 from Target last week and we had the worse time getting it to work on AT&T. Don't know what good it is. We were on the phone with Apple and AT&T for I don't know how long. Finally had to take it to the AT&T store where they swapped out the sim for their own.

What on earth good is/was the Apple SIM it came with??

Ken

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Apple SIM is supposed to work with any carrier, including AT&T. AT&T normally permanently locks the SIM to their network, defeating the whole purpose of a universal SIM card. It's possible that the Apple SIM was defective. You could take it to an Apple Store and have it tested. If it's defective you'll get a free replacement. You could then save it in case you ever travel outside the USA.

5. Mpaul

Mpaul
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My kids got me an air2 for fathers day ..I had to get verizon to send me a sim .They weren't on the drop down when i tried to activate it .Guy at best buy told them "not to worry it'll work with any provider"so far it's all good