4G experiences?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by epb, Dec 25, 2010.

1. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Is anyone using 4G with the iPad yet? I'm curious about the performance benefits. I got some junk mail saying 4G Unlimited Data is available for $25/month in my area(with a mobile hotspot device) and I was thinking of trying it out since...

1) I don't like that iTunes won't let me download while on 3G
    2) I don't like that most AT&T hotspots (Starbucks) are slower than my home wifi
    3) It's $5 cheaper than the original Unlimited plan, which I'm still on.
  2. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not worth it. As a mifi user it sucks.

Great if AT&T doesn't have service in your area. Never had issues with iTunes or starbucks..
  3. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Sorry, you'll have to explain your technical jargon - what do you mean by "sucks?"
  4. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Nothing to really explain.. Just a thinking process (or if pre iPad, experience).

If you had a crummy cellphone only good for talk and text, no emails, would you also lug around a verizon netbook in addition so you could have email on the go. Or just buy a cellphone that also does email too?

Get a mifi tho. Check out the short battery life, and the extra device to lug around. See if it's worth the amazing 4g speeds :p
  5. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Not to punch a gift horse in the mouth, but you're being pretty vague. Most of your counter-arguments could apply to owning an iPad itself, or any iDevice. Here's my question: in your experience, does it work as advertised? It's supposed to be faster, last 4 hours, and weigh 4.5 oz. Which of these is it not doing?
  6. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I don't think the iPad will do 4G...
  7. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    4g > 3g

I am typing this right now on my iPad connected to my Clear iSpot's 4G.

[​IMG]

It's noticeably faster than any of the carrier's 3G's average .7 to 1.4mbps speeds.

The router cost me $20, bought during their week-long special last week.

Here's some other details regarding the iSpot:

1. Allows up to 8 iOS devices to be tethered at the same time.
    2. Has a connection radius of 150 feet (half a football field)
    3. Has an average of 6 mbps download/1 mbps up speed with bursts of 10.

4. Is shipped to you for free.
    5. No contract/month to month
    6. $25/mo

For those who aren't blanketed by 4G coverage, Clear offers a 3G/4G combo version for $55/month.

Manufacturer's website: Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  8. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Does it work as advertised? I own a pickup, but have never used the 'bed' or function ofnthe pickup if you will. Working as advertised doesn't mean it's practical.

Two years ago I didn't stream heavy media via cable Internet. Email, web, chat. Was spending $65 a month for highspeed Internet. Didn't need such supply to balance out my demand.

Do you need 4g service? Is it worth your time/effort lugging around a hotspot such as a mifi?

..I mean really. Do as you wish. But all I'm saying is think whats practical with common sence. Would companies be blasting out how fast and great 4g service is, if it was worse than 3G? ..pretty sure their marketing departments wouldn't allow it due to profits.

Just think.
  9. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    ...I have NO idea what you're talking about...
  10. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't quite comprehend that. After reading the member's posts a couple times, I gather that he/she is saying is that they believe that mifi's "suck" and that 4G is actually worse than 3G, but carriers aren't going to tell us that.. because it wouldn't be profitable.

As an iPad user that has experienced AT&T's internal router's 3G speeds, Virgin Mobile's 3G mifi's speeds(which is basically Sprint's 3G service), and Clear's 4G iSpot, I'd have to whole heartedly recommend $25/mo, unlimited, no contract, up to 8 iOS devices, 150 ft range mobile router, which is about the same size as my iPhone that I don't mind "lugging" around in my pocket. After experiencing 4G on my iPad, there is no way I am going back to paying for 3G speeds, unless I travel/spend time in areas that are only supported by 3G, which I still have the option for either through Clear or through AT&T still.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  11. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Wow.

.. Way over both your heads. How hard is it to understand.. Just because it's the newest greatest thing, doesn't mean it's worth it.

Is it practical? Do you need, or want 4g? If you need it, is it worth lugging around a hotspot and responsibility caring for it? Or does 3G do what is needed for you?

Even you two should understand this: pros vs cons.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  12. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm not sure that what you said is over anyone's head, but rather vague, aside from your snapshot response of mifi's suck and all.

Is it practical? Absolutely! Why would I want to pay $25 for only 2GB of data at 3G speeds for one device, when I can spend the same $25 for unlimited data at 4x the speeds for up to 8 devices?

Do I need or want 4G? Heck yeah!

Is it worth "lugging" around and having the responsibility of carrying it? You mean the same way I "lug" around my iPhone and care for it? They are practically the same size and weight.

Does 3G do what is needed for me? Um, no.

I'm sure I know the pros and cons of each. Do you?
  13. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Wow.. Thanks for the info. I asked on this forum a while back and was told a 3G iPad wouldn't work with 4G... It's nice to know the iPad can use 4G, because there is a local carrier that is supposed to be introducing 4G next month... I guess I'll be moving over to them.
  14. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The iPad cannot do 4G without the proper hardware. If you are seeing faster speeds that is just your 3G being maxed out. IT IS NOT 4G!
  15. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I kind of thought that... It makes sense that a 4G network would 'fall back' to support 3G devices... (There are a lot of them out there).
  16. SeaRat

SeaRat iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I first purchased an ipad it was with the intention of watching movies and streaming content and the like while 'on the go', as am truly o.t.g. and have no permanent address or hard phone line or desire for either. Unfortunately I soon
    learned that one can burn AT&T's 2 gig plan out overnight with just a few movies,
    or several uTube episodes. I have, by virtue of the preceding posts, perused Clears
    website and have just purchased one of their devices and a month to month plan. I
    imagine I will soon see if their claim of unlimited data usage is true, and if speed of
    transmission (a bonus!) has increased to boot.?.. I'll let you know.
  17. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    A wireless router, aka personal router, aka mifi's takes 3G and/or 4G and converts it to wifi. It's as simple as that. What proper hardware are you referring to exactly?

I own the iSpot, advertised as a 4G ONLY router, so it has nothing to do any other carrier's "3G speeds being maxed out." In fact Clear doesn't even have their own 3G network. They do however lease Sprint's 3G network as a combo option for those who want a wireless router that does both 3G and 4G, but the two companies have separate networks based on my last phone call to them.

I am most definitely seeing faster speeds, though, that's for sure.

Not sure what your sources are, but perhaps you can shed some light on how it is not 4G, but maxed out 3G. You could be right, and maybe all of the telecoms have been holding out on us, but frankly I could care less what they call it, as long as it's faster, and costs me the same.

They could call it negative two G for all I care! Lol. Give me fast unlimited internet and I'm a happy camper!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  18. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The concepts aren't hard to understand, your writing is. Your punctuation is all over the place, your sentences start in the middle and trail off in a flurry of periods, and you steadfastly refuse to elaborate on any of the vague points you claim you've made. You seem to have a strong opinion on this subject, but you're simply not communicating it well. I appreciate the attempt, though.
  19. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I'm going to pik up the Clear set-up today as well - I'll report back my results.
  20. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    And I'm back. I'll lead with the conclusion: I'm disappointed. It works properly, but so far 4G performance, which is advertised as being as fast as my home DSL connection (3 to 6Mbps), is on par with AT&T's rickety 3G service. This falls far short of my expectations, which was to use Splashtop Remote to access my home PC with the same performance abroad that I do at home. I need to do some testing outside of home (where I'd normally use the device) and see how it does then. Using Speedtest's app, I got the following results on my iPad:

Clear 4G = PING: 448ms DOWNLOAD: .86Mbps UPLOAD: .04Mbps

AT&T 3G = PING: 244s DOWNLOAD: .93Mbps UPLOAD: .05Mbps

DSL = PING: 163ms DOWNLOAD: 4.91Mbps UPLOAD: .62Mbps