What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4005 on 8.4.1 Update

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated iTunes to 12.2.2 and noticed my iPad was due for an update as well. Plugged it in to iTunes and let it do the download and update. However when I checked the iPad a little later it says to plug it into iTunes and iTunes is saying it has an error 4005. I checked that out and followed all the instructions but iTunes is not recognising the iPad even though the iPad is saying plug me into iTunes. I have rebooted the computer, switched cables, tried to reboot the iPad, turn it off/on, all to no avail. Any further suggestions please?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you "followed all the instructions" were you referring to the suggestions in this Apple Support link, which could be useful?
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201444
Incidentally, you are asked not to duplicate a post as it can cause confusion by such fragmenting of an issue and is against the forum Rules (link to the Rules in my signature below)
I deleted your subsequent post in the iOS8 sub-forum re the same issue to keep stuff all neat and ship shape:)
Regards, Andrew

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing you could try, since you have updated to the latest iTunes version on your computer is to, on your iPad, go to settings>iCloud Backup and ensure the Backup switch is set to Off. Then try updating to the latest iOS version as before.
Andrew

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thing you could try, since you have updated to the latest iTunes version on your computer is to, on your iPad, go to settings>iCloud Backup and ensure the Backup switch is set to Off. Then try updating to the latest iOS version as before.
Andrew

He mentions that his iPad is in "Connect to Itunes" mode which means that he can't get into settings to backup to iCloud (unfortunately, there is likely nothing left to backup at this point).

I would recommend checking your dock port for debris or damage and trying a different PC to restore your iPad. If that doesn't work let us know and we will go from there.

Your iPad is also less than a year old if is an Air 2. So if you have no luck on your own, get it to an apple store if you can or contact apple for support.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
Andrew - sorry for the duplicate post, I thought my one in this forum hadn't gone through and on reflection thought it might be more appropriate in the ios8 forum. My apologies. And those were the instructions I followed.
OB & Brian244 - iPad is locked in the 'Plug me into iTunes mode'. I did see a thread on getting the iPad into the DFU mode and tried that, but while my windows PC recognises the Apple product in the DFU mode, iTunes will not. I have reloaded iTunes twice but still nothing there.
J.A - I'll give that a try, thank you. At this stage I'm not quite sure when the iPad is actually off because I can only get the apple, a blank screen or the Plug me in icon. I'll be back, as someone once said.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, tried that J.A. but to no avail. As I plug it in the Apple logo appears followed by the Plug me to iTunes icon, but iTunes steadfastly and resolutely maintains its stony silence. Computer recognises an Apple device in the recovery mode so I know the plug/cable is working and iTunes recognises my wife's iPad so I know iTunes is working - sort of. I feel a trip to an Apple service place coming on.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh darn it! On re-reading your replies more closely I have just realised I am in the iPad Air 2 forum, not the iPad 2 forum - which is probably why I didn't see my original post come up. My iPad is a 4+ year old iPad 2 64Gb that's been going flat out without a hitch all that time. Sorry about that people.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you follow the instructions exactly? You're not meant to plug in the iPad to the computer, but to plug in the cable first, after making sure the device isn't turned on.
Then hold the Home button while plugging the cable into the iPad.

Here are some suggestions how to troubleshoot your iPad not appearing in iTunes:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J.A., did it exactly as per instructions lots of times without success. Spent some time going through that support page (your URL) and did find an interesting anomaly - I don't appear to get the AMDS file when I download iTunes, and I've uninstalled/reinstalled as per the instructions about four times now. Nevertheless, iTunes recognises my old iPod and the missus's iPad no problem so I don't know whether that's an issue or not. Anyway, I think I'll drop the iPad into a support centre tomorrow and get them to do a factory reset as I have a very recent back up.
Thanks to everyone for the excellent support and suggestions.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to finish this thread off. Dropped iPad into service centre who sorted it out in about 2 minutes and did a factory reset. All good. However, when I got it home iTunes still will not recognise it because, iTunes now says, it does not have the Apple Mobile Device Services file downloaded. Have now tried several times to do that to no avail - but the iPads working - just got to get the back up loaded now.
Thanks again to you all.

Most reactions

Latest posts