What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 month old IPad 3, wifi suddenly went to crap

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For four months, I've had ROCK solid wifi performance from my IPad. All of a sudden, netflix stutters (or plays in choppy low-rez), apps take forever to download/update, and syncing takes several hours. Internet speed seems to be less than 1/10 the speed I was used to getting.

There are no newly added wifi devices in my home. None of my other devices have suffered this decrease in speed.

I've reset the wifi, and that didn't work.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you completely closed all apps by double clicking the home button or using the 4 finger swipe up to disclose the app bar; then hold an app until they jiggle and a minus appears - touch the minus on all apps to close them all. Just tap the screen to get back to full screen.
If this doesn't help, try a reset. Hold the home button and the sleep button until the apple appears. Then wait until it finishes restarting. I hope one of these will help.

OP
K

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you completely closed all apps by double clicking the home button or using the 4 finger swipe up to disclose the app bar; then hold an app until they jiggle and a minus appears - touch the minus on all apps to close them all. Just tap the screen to get back to full screen.
If this doesn't help, try a reset. Hold the home button and the sleep button until the apple appears. Then wait until it finishes restarting. I hope one of these will help.

Yes. I actually know quite a bit about the IPad OS. I've been using this for 4 months straight and have had a strong wireless connection to my home router during that time. It's crap now. It reminds me of the old dial-up days.

The speed is horrendous.

I've reset the network router and the IPad's wireless network settings.

I'm now in the process of a complete factory restore.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tested the speed of your connection elsewhere aside from your home network? May be appropriate to rule out at this point.

OP
K

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tested the speed of your connection elsewhere aside from your home network? May be appropriate to rule out at this point.

I'll definitely try that tomorrow. The full restore didn't help.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try use your iPad on another friends wireless network, as Skimonkey suggests to rule out the a vinous that you might have your own localized wifi issue.

OP
K

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, please let us know your findings!

Ok, it may not be the IPad's wifi.

It's either my home's router or something has changed in my IPad's settings when it comes to communicating with my router. The odd thing is that none of my other devices are suffering this massive drop in performance, not even my Plasma TV.

Anyway, I'll definitely post any fixes in case someone else has this networking communication problem in the future.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Krooked said:
Ok, it may not be the IPad's wifi.

It's either my home's router or something has changed in my IPad's settings when it comes to communicating with my router. The odd thing is that none of my other devices are suffering this massive drop in performance, not even my Plasma TV.

Anyway, I'll definitely post any fixes in case someone else has this networking communication problem in the future.

This has often been mentioned that other devices are fine except the ipad. That is why i wanted you to rule out the ipad at this point.

OP
K

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update.

Turned out to be my wireless router. Verizon sent a replacement and everything is back to normal.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Krooked said:
Just wanted to post an update.

Turned out to be my wireless router. Verizon sent a replacement and everything is back to normal.

Glad to hear that we were able to rule out that it wasn't the ipad, but your router!

Have fun!

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HappyPelican said:
Great news!

Exactly the same thing happened to us a few weeks ago. Took ages to find out what was wrong, with a whole load of angst going on. They replaced the old router (which was way out of date) and we added an extra re- router as well, to give us better working on the other side of the house & garden. Now works fine all over; other odd glitches we were getting have also put themselves right.

Most reactions

Latest posts