What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3.3 Has anyone noticed a change in power consumption?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was yet another update, geesh I'll stick with 4.3.2 for awhile.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
David79 said:
I didn't even know there was yet another update, geesh I'll stick with 4.3.2 for awhile.

You are not missing anything by the sounds of it, David. I'm waiting for the next one, myself.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery is definitely draining quicker since 4.3.3

I never used to have any over night drain, but now I loose about 3%!!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harters said:
My battery is definitely draining quicker since 4.3.3

I never used to have any over night drain, but now I loose about 3%!!!

I hate to point out the obvious here and I'm not trying to be smart, BUT, 3% drain overnight seems perfectly normal for an iPad under standard circumstances and configuration to me.
According to my calculations, assuming overnight is about 8 hours, that gives you 11 days of standby. Pretty good in my book, unless you are the type that always has all your services switched off completely.

I appreciate you think you were getting zero percent battery drain previously, and sometimes you can observe that if you iPad was fully (over) charged to 100% when you left it (it can stick for slightly longer than normal at 100% in common with any battery powered deceive of this type), but losing less than 1% in standby over a period of say 8 hours would be exceptional. It would equate to something like 33+ days standby. I don't recognise that as being the normal standby time you can expect from an iPad.

I do find it interesting that whenever a new version of iOS comes out there are always people who seem to observe what they consider to be additional drain. Perhaps it is more to do with observing the device more than before? I don' know.

Anyhoo, my advice would be don't be worried by this. It seems fine... I don't see any evidence anywhere that 4.3.3 has a battery drain issue.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I hate to point out the obvious here and I'm not trying to be smart, BUT, 3% drain overnight seems perfectly normal for an iPad under standard circumstances and configuration to me.
According to my calculations, assuming overnight is about 8 hours, that gives you 11 days of standby. Pretty good in my book, unless you are the type that always has all your services switched off completely.

I appreciate you think you were getting zero percent battery drain previously, and sometimes you can observe that if you iPad was fully (over) charged to 100% when you left it (it can stick for slightly longer than normal at 100% in common with any battery powered deceive of this type), but losing less than 1% in standby over a period of say 8 hours would be exceptional. It would equate to something like 33+ days standby. I don't recognise that as being the normal standby time you can expect from an iPad.

I do find it interesting that whenever a new version of iOS comes out there are always people who seem to observe what they consider to be additional drain. Perhaps it is more to do with observing the device more than before? I don' know.

Anyhoo, my advice would be don't be worried by this. It seems fine... I don't see any evidence anywhere that 4.3.3 has a battery drain issue.

Thanks for the info, but no matter what my % is at the end of the day it is always the same in the morning. I have push etc off. Usually it will stay at 100% for over and hour after a full mains charge, but now it starts dropping quite quickly. Maybe the battery level is now more accurate?

I will keep an eye on it :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harters said:
Thanks for the info, but no matter what my % is at the end of the day it is always the same in the morning. I have push etc off. Usually it will stay at 100% for over and hour after a full mains charge, but now it starts dropping quite quickly. Maybe the battery level is now more accurate?

I will keep an eye on it :)

Cool. And if you do have everything turned off when in standby (no push, wireless, 3G, etc,) you are supposed to be able to squeeze 720 hours of standby out of the battery according to Apple. However that is absolutely a theoretical maximum and you would have to leave it in standby (never turn it on once) to actually achieve it.
Out of interest, did you upgrade or restore iOS 4.3.3. I am of the opinion an upgrade can introduce something into the mix which was not there before, perhaps related to wireless..., but that's just a theory.
Try resetting your network connections (thus forgetting all your wifi) and see if that improves things. I've seen it benefit others.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Cool. And if you do have everything turned off when in standby (no push, wireless, 3G, etc,) you are supposed to be able to squeeze 720 hours of standby out of the battery according to Apple. However that is absolutely a theoretical maximum and you would have to leave it in standby (never turn it on once) to actually achieve it.
Out of interest, did you upgrade or restore iOS 4.3.3. I am of the opinion an upgrade can introduce something into the mix which was not there before, perhaps related to wireless..., but that's just a theory.
Try resetting your network connections (thus forgetting all your wifi) and see if that improves things. I've seen it benefit others.

Hmmmm the plot thickens. Since my last post at 11:07 my battery has gone from 29% to 27% and I closed off all apps before I put it to sleep (not something I usually do)

I will delete my network connections as you suggest and will do a full shutdown too.

I did an upgrade as far as I know....... Just did what iTunes told me to :)

What I have noticed is that I can have quite a good signal, but as soon as I click on a link the signals drops right down low, pauses then seems to recover again.

Last edited:

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is also possible that the battery drain is the same, but the software-based reporting was changed.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harters said:
What I have noticed is that I can have quite a good signal, but as soon as I click on a link the signals drops right down low, pauses then seems to recover again.

Are you talking wifi, or 3G signal? Definitely sounds like you need to reset your network settings.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Are you talking wifi, or 3G signal? Definitely sounds like you need to reset your network settings.

Wifi, I don't have any issues with 3G at all

I have reset all my network connections and will see what happens :)

cemturc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2 battery drains dramatically even there is not any app running on background

Here is another test that I just made.

I closed every single app. I even turned the airplane mod on. While nill app working on task bar, I just kept sliding the screen (to keep the ipad alive), 1% of battery could last only 5 minutes.

What do you think?

Either batery is weak
Either battery display fails
Either something works on background and drain the battery

Reaction score
cemturc said:
I closed every single app. I even turned the airplane mod on. While nill app working on task bar, I just kept sliding the screen (to keep the ipad alive), 1% of battery could last only 5 minutes.

What do you think?

The single largest energy draining part of the iPad is the display. On which brightness level are you carrying out your test?

However, in your case, when the iPad is not running any complex apps, the battery should easily last 10h, especially when both Wifi and 3G are turned off.

Just one question regarding how you have carried out the test.
For how long have you been watching the screen? Obviously there will be some inconsistencies, if it is just for a few minutes. But if the battery really drops 10% in 50min, than the Apple advertised battery life is 20% longer than the one your iPad lasts and it may be a faulty battery. As said before, the brightness level is the single most significant factor determining the battery run-time. But if the brightness is low, the iPad battery may not be fully functional.

This is neat, my post got carried over into this thread, even though it was posted after the original thread had been moved, as iPF gave an error "Invalid thread" on posting :)

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine doesn't charge through my keyboard USB port. It may be Apple playing mind games with me. I'll keep an eye out and report back. I should has my new iPad 2 next week...this may all be moot.

Sent from my iPad 64 GB, WiFi, 3G using iPF

Do you mean the USB plug on your keyboard or the USB plug that you plug your keyboard into?

If the former, those plugs are for very low power devices, like a mouse. They're underpowered and made for just a single, power sipping device.

If the latter, well, that's a whole 'nother story.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is still ticking down since I have done a network reset.

3% in 3 and a half hours of being in sleep. I am going to let it run right down then give it an overnight charge and see if it changes back to how it used to be :)

Oops there goes another 1% .......

Most reactions

Latest posts