What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3.2 update / issues

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sublimesaries said:
I keep getting an error that says my iPad was unable to update because my network is timing out...

My network isn't doing anything! Anyone know what this is all about :(:)

This is the same error I'm getting

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having issues updating also. Have tried it several times. I'm about to give up.

If you post what your symptoms are and any messages you are seeing, someone may be able to assist in solving the issues...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sublimesaries said:
I keep getting an error that says my iPad was unable to update because my network is timing out...

My network isn't doing anything! Anyone know what this is all about :(:)

This is the same error I'm getting

OK. This can mean either the Apple servers are genuinely overloaded, which can happen just after a major release.

OR, it could be a local problem. Users have tried temporarily disabling anti-virus and firelwall software until the download is complete and reported success. Just don't forget to turn them back on afterwards.

It can sometimes be better to download the firmware file directly form apple onto your desktop. And then use that to upgrade. The direct download links are provided in a sticky in the hacking section of this site. Make sure you download the right one for your iPad. See if you can get that downloaded without interruption.

Once you have it downloaded, instead of pressing "update" in iTunes, hold down the shift key (or option key on Mac) as you click the "update" button. This will open a dialogue box and allow you to choose the file you just downloaded. The upgrade should then fly through...

Hope these suggestions help.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All's well that ends well

Being new to the game because I skipped the 4.3.1 update, I followed twerppoet's excellent instructions (thanks very much TP). Using my somewhat underpowered netbook, the actual download took about 57 minutes. Not bad, since it took twice as long to update Win7 and my a.v. program on the netbook before I started the sync/backup/download process in iTunes.

I found the Apple update process fascinating to watch: that nice black screen with the white apple in the center, and the progress bar just below. Quite elegant.

No problems encountered in the download and update. Did have one app go wonky, which wasn't resolved through shutting it down and doing a hard reboot - but I figured out a back door approach and its running fine now.

Went so well, I copied twerppoet's instructions to a text file on my desktop for future reference.

MMakoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
metheridge said:
Err...yeah....

With that hint I think I figured it out....I deleted the entry in my HOSTS file....

Confucius say, "master has most respect for pupil who solves own problems with merely a hint"
Good effort.

Yep After deleting that entry updated fine....now to backup my key.

hi, what entry are you referring to? i tried deleting the "hosts.umbrella" file under windows/system32/drivers/etc, but the same error 3194 appears when i tried to update to 4.3.2. could you pls shed some lights? TIA

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MMakoto said:
hi, what entry are you referring to? i tried deleting the "hosts.umbrella" file under windows/system32/drivers/etc, but the same error 3194 appears when i tried to update to 4.3.2. could you pls shed some lights? TIA

Easiest thing to do is start tinyumbrella, switch to the advanced tab in the middle of the screen, and UNTICK the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit". Then exit and you should be good to go...

MMakoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MMakoto said:

Easiest thing to do is start tinyumbrella, switch to the advanced tab in the middle of the screen, and UNTICK the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit". Then exit and you should be good to go...

you are the best, this is so much more easier than the other methods of replacing the host file as seen on youtube. my ipad2 is updating as i write this. thanks a lot.

Someone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tweetyfan said:
I am new to apple. What update are you talking about and where do updates show up when they are available?

Thanks for you help.

Okay im new too this forum app thing but i think im doing the right thing by answering ur question here. Anyway moving on when u connect ur ipad too itunes it automaticly sends u the "download and update available"

gifty74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're on Win 7 you can just move the hosts file to another folder. All of the lines in the Win 7 hosts file are commented out (#) so windows does not even use it. I was having the same 1394 error after using tiny umbrella in the past. After moving it the update went off as it should. Just out of curiosity, what does unchecking install Cydia do to the hosts file that would affect iTunes?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
gifty74 said:
If you're on Win 7 you can just move the hosts file to another folder. All of the lines in the Win 7 hosts file are commented out (#) so windows does not even use it. I was having the same 1394 error after using tiny umbrella in the past. After moving it the update went off as it should. Just out of curiosity, what does unchecking install Cydia do to the hosts file that would affect iTunes?

Unticking it clears the Cydia entry in your hosts file which is blocking iTunes, so it does automatically what you were suggesting manually by moving the hosts file. Glad it worked for you, but remember, not everybody's hosts file is empty of other stuff so moving it may not be best for everyone... I have lots of important stuff in my hosts!

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took the update and the update itself went smooth. But I am finding some apps and some games are crashing more and giving me errors. I wish I hadn't taken the update.

MacClanIII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long should update take?

I have been waiting for 3 hours. The usb cable to iTunes pic is on my screen. iTunes site says my ipad2 is updating.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MacClanIII said:
I have been waiting for 3 hours. The usb cable to iTunes pic is on my screen. iTunes site says my ipad2 is updating.

No. Something is wrong. The cable pic should only be for a short period and the whole process should be much quicker than 3 hours... Try again.

Slackylc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded it, fast speed and no problems, but I can't go on any apps at all; they keep crashing for me as well. Any idea how to fix this?

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last week when i synced my ipad with i tunes, the message came up for the new firmware, i did not click ok, and carry on using the current firmware which i feel uses tooo much battery. Does the new formware solve the battery problem?

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.1

Most reactions

Latest posts