What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 beta has left my ipad stuck in recovery mode...

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.2 beta has left my ipad stuck in recovery mode... [SOLVED]

So on a mates recommendation I gave it a shot, didnt work out so I figured I would restore back, except it's not that simple and now my ipad is stuck in recovery mode unable to do downgrade to 3.2.2 through the itunes option.

It gets to "Preparing iPad for restore..." but doesnt get anywhere along the loading bar on the ipad and eventually errors out with the message...

"The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1611)"

Some tips on how to get my ipad working again would be very welcome. VERY WELCOME! lol.

It's just stuck on the connec to itunes screen.

Last edited:
OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, which ive now found out could be the problem. I'll hold my hands up that im a rookie with apple products. Friend of mine isnt but he said it was easy, guess I've learnt my lesson.

Therefore come to you guys...

It's a stock ipad, ive not jailbroken it or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I do have insurance.

OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, just need a way to restore it to be honest. It could be that I have to wait for the full release of 4.2 as that would count as an upgrade.

I've just tried it on another computer and it went through all the update process then errored out at the end with error code 1015.

Any ideas anyone?

Hedonist222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use tiny umbrella app to kick you out recovery mode. There's an options called "kick me out of recovery mode"

OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use tiny umbrella app to kick you out recovery mode. There's an options called "kick me out of recovery mode"

I plan to give this a shot over lunch, have it downloaded but having problems with java apparently to get it running/install. It seems like it will work a treat though by all description.

Thanks Hedonist222, I will update when I've tried it either lunch or tonight at home.

OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked, thank god. It's completely wiped but it's working and I'm now not looking at a 600 quid paperweight. lol.

OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry yes i'll explain.

Did the restore, and when the error came up I used TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, a few flashes on the ipad, unplugged from USB and it came alive. Completely wiped but working none the less. Thank god.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went through the same thing a while back. Just wanted you to know you're not alone and not the only person who ended up feeling like an idiot.

Awaiting public release of iOS 4.2 final. :)

OP
F

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heh, good stuff. Just glad it's working again now and hopefully my comp/itunes at home will restore my apps later. :S

Most reactions