What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g

stcrda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have searched the threads and can't find an exact answer to this, my ipad2 has 3G and has a "3" sim card in it and it shows on the top left of the main page, but there is no air time as I do not use 3. I shall probably ditch it.

Question. can I get my iPad to use my android t- mobile phone unlimited Internet connection?
If so how? Or/
Is the only way to use it as such is to purchase another separate sim card.
I know I can use wifi if a hotspot is available but that is not what I want to do.
Many thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your Android phone has a tethering option,it can provide a wifi hotspot,which your iPad can detect and connect to.Some cellular carriers charge a fee for tethering,you will have to check with your carrier.
If you are talking about taking the sim card from your phone to use in your iPad,that would be a violation of your terms of service with your cellular provider and could result in the termination of your service if discovered.
If you want cellular data service for your iPad,you will have to go through your cellular provider for a data plan for your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
S

stcrda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scifan57 -- thanks for the reply, not sure if I can setup a hotspot, looks like my best option would be to talk to t-mobile about using another sim card with package.
What do other iPad users do if they don't have an iPhone?
Cheers.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They either use wifi,where available or have a cellular data plan for a compatible iPad.

OP
S

stcrda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I spoke with T-mobile and within a few minutes they had me up and running with my android phone as a hot spot. No additional charges just told that it could drain the battery quicker. I have an unlimited Internet package so it's just useful if I am not near a normal hot spot.
The battery is not a problem as I always carry a spare.
Thanks for your help

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad i could help.For myself,I tether my iPad to my iPhone and it's unlimited data plan.

Most reactions