3G VS. Tehtered

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, May 6, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I am planning on getting a 2600 mha battery for my Pre. The standard one is 1300 mha. It would be handy to have since MyTether works through USB as well and if my home internet connection went down I would have a backup as well.

2. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm lucky in that I don't need out of house internet access for my laptop -- which is why I bought the 3G. I can fully understand someone who needs such access buying the myfi, etc. What I have problems understanding (and it's really none of my business) but why someone would want to go through all of the crap of buying extra batteries, special programs, having to watch 2 batteries, having to initiate the tethering before connecting via the iPad.

Before my iPad I had an iPod touch that I tethered to a Samsung Omnia. I had the $80 extended battery, walking hot spot, etc. It worked but was truly a pain in the a$$ and didn't appear any faster that my iPad.

3. leeherman

leeherman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My Wifi only version has tested out at 14.73 mbps using WiFi at home.

The same iPad tested at 655 kbps wirelessly tethered to my VZW Samsung Omnia running WMWiFiRouter.

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I am already paying $99.00 per month for my Sprint Pre voice / data plan. I need the phone to be with me at all times. Why would I want to buy a MiFi and shell out another 60.00 per month for data service on it when I can use the phone that I already have to accomplish the same thing?

5. EARL97850

EARL97850
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My problem is I am with Verizon and if I root my Droid so that I can tether it to a iPad then there will not be any phone calls taking place while tethered.

Decisions decisions.

Cya

6. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I don't disagree with you at all. In your position I would do the same thing. I'm just not in your position.

7. moeby

moeby
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The MAIN thing about thethering

it just look similar to
    your mom holding your hand out for a walk.

If that's your digg, we are all happy for the tit therer.

Get a 3g damn it!!!