What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G usuage. How much do you use?

Taka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I have the iPad with 3G for nearly 2 months. I am having trouble using all the allowance there is with Optus Australia.

I manage to use up only 2.2Gb of download and upload last month and that is with a lot of download of apps. By the way, apple does not allow me to download apps that more than 20Mb without logging into iTunes or Wifi.

I watch YouTube I have to say once a day at most but even so I don't use up much. After 22 days in the 2nd month I only use up 600Mb of the 1.5Gb. The trend is that even on the lowest/cheapest plan. I am struggling.

I guess I am asking anyone has an idea into usage of iPad and data allowance. I guess the US forum members here are on the unlimited plan and saying ... Don't care to me :p

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumb question but where do you go to track usage? I went to the AT&T detail on the IPads settings tab but didnt see actual usage anywhere...

Yeah I got the unlimited plan.

used 30gigs in my first month downloading and watching video podcasts.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I met my 5G quota last mont with my Sprint Overdrive MiFi. That was during a two week vacation with three family members each with their own iPads and or laptops. We had no other service, had to depend on the MiFi

OP
T

Taka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumb question but where do you go to track usage? I went to the AT&T detail on the IPads settings tab but didnt see actual usage anywhere...

Looking at the website - there is likely you can check your usage when you log into the account at AT&T | Cell Phones, U-verse, Digital TV, DSL Internet, and Phone Service. I don't use that here down under :)

I have broadband at home but leave my ipad on 3g all the time.

I do put on both Wifi and 3G all the time. The iPad is smart enough to switch to Wifi where possible.

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, no luck on the website as the account login requires a phone number. Has to be some way to tell via the IPad.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My data clock on my Sprint Overdrive MiFi resets at each billing cycle. Does ATT 3G reset itself at billing cycles or do you have an option to set yourself?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to turn on cellular data

Yeah I got the unlimited plan.

used 30gigs in my first month downloading and watching video podcasts.

In settings, then go to view account, enter your email address and password.

I am on the limited plan. According to my status, 119 mgs good for 19 more days. I only have 3G running when I'm on a road trip. Today, I'm going to Indianapolis, with IPad directed stops. Road trips consume a lot of data.

Most reactions

Latest posts