What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G toggling

tansw2k2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need some help and advices from the the members here. I own an ipad 2 3G and recently upgraded from IOS 4.3.3 to IOS 5. When i tried to search for the option to toggle my 3G , I found out that its gone from my setting. Now my ipad is stuck on cellular data without 3G and is slow to a crawl. Previously when I'm on IOS 4.3.3 , I never had any 3G problem and always have max signal , but since upgrading to IOS 5, I'm stuck permanently without 3G and no ways to toggle my 3G settings back on.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say it's "stuck on cellular data without 3G" do you mean it's dropped back down to EDGE or GPRS?

Tim

OP
T

tansw2k2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
meaning no 3g network....there's only a circle symbol beside the signal area

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the circle symbol means that it's on GPRS - a 2G service. This must mean you're in an area or location where only 2G cellular service is available and the iPad has linked on to that. Perhaps if you move to an area with a 3G service you'd find the 3G symbol appearing.

Tim

OP
T

tansw2k2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no it became like that permanently wherever i am after i upgraded to ios 5...,i went to settings wanting to enable 3g....surprisingly i can't find it. So i was stuck at 2G. The ipad was fine when i was at previous version 4.3.3. The 3G network exist but disappear immediately after upgrading to ios 5

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no toggling between Edge, GPRS or 3G.. These things aren't user selectable. The iPad interacts with the network and negotiates the best possible data rate.. The icon on the top left of the iPad screen is only indicating what the results of the negotiations were.

As far as enabling your wireless data.... In settings, all you should have is "Cellular Data".. The choices there are "Cellular Data ON/OFF" and "Data Roaming".

You might try a cold reset on your iPad to see if that restores things.

Most reactions

Latest posts