What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G for my WiFi only iPad

tmoney15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a company called TruConnect. They provide Internet for people with WiFi only iPads. I don't go out of town much but when I do I would like to take and be able to use my iPad. Has anyone had experience using TruConnect that they can share with me? It seems like a really good deal for what I need. They say I can pay $4.99/month for access and only pay 3.9 cents for every MB I use. If that's the case it would be really economical for me while I'm on my occasional trip. TruConnect Mobile - Contract Free 3G Mobile Internet for Laptop and iPad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not used this service as I'm in the UK, but here several companies offer a similar service using a portable WiFi hotspot that's identical to the one TruConnect use. It works just fine!!

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should be noted that it only saves you money if your mobile internet requirements are fairly low.

A person who only checks their email and does a fair amount web browsing should be able to stay under 250MB a month without problems, that comes to:

$4.99 + (250MB X $0.039) = $10.25 A pretty good deal.

On the other hand 2GB of data comes out to more than $80, which is $20 more than Verizon charged for a monthly Mi-Fi plan last time I checked.

A single streamed Movie can easily exceed 400MB of data, just for reference. Listening to a several hours of streaming music would blow 200MB fairly quickly. So consider how you are going to use it first. Of course, if you only use a few times year, then even the higher charges would quickly become cheaper averaged out through the year.

Amazing iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a Mifi to have Wifi when I am out and about. Works pretty good. Next iPad I buy will be a 3G model. Looking forward to the iPad 3 which is when I will upgrade.

OP
T

tmoney15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll give this a shot and report back on my experience using TruConnect for other members.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazingipad--

I, too, began using a virgin mobile broadband mifi unit. Just brought up to our place up north-while it's running on a cell service (sprint) it does it job at a slower pace. I cannot see myself watching a movie or any video on it-since it is slow and times out. However, for simple surfing on the iPad forum, facebook, emails, etc- works pretty good. Satisfies my urge to be "connected!":) Oh, and also-as a promotion virgin gave me 500mb free -valued at 20$. I used the mifi for 6 days and have only used up 60 mb.

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I've not used this service as I'm in the UK, but here several companies offer a similar service using a portable WiFi hotspot that's identical to the one TruConnect use. It works just fine!!

Tim

Tim, ron argo here in Thailand again. On my iPad the month and day are correct BUT the year says 2056 or something like that. Icannot for the life of me change it. Please help. Thank you young man.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
2554 BE?

This is what it will say if you have your International settings for the Calendar set for Buddhist; the default if you're regional format is set for Thailand.

You can change it under Settings > General > International > Calendar: Gregorian (or you can change everything including language by changing the Region Format).

I haven't found a way to change the date to 2056, other than going there manually. If you've done that all you have to do is tap the Today button at the lower left of the app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tim, ron argo here in Thailand again. On my iPad the month and day are correct BUT the year says 2056 or something like that. Icannot for the life of me change it. Please help. Thank you young man.

And you really should start a new thread in the Help (or other appropriate) section for problems that are not the same as the thread you post in.

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you it worked. My problem is ,been looking for 30minutes where to ask a simple question and I find it difficult. Not user friendly for old people. I know I am not in the right section but cannot locate the "right" section to go to. Upgraded iPad all night to 50 I thought. When it said done I just unplugged it but I think there is something more as when I got here to wifi location it is the same 4.3 I think, as I do not know how to find out. Sorry for. Being so stupid. Would like to simply go to this section and have a window popup where I could ask a simple section. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can see what iOS version you have by opening the Settings app and selecting General then About.

To start a new question thread using the iPad app, you go to the Forums tab at the bottom, choose Apple iPad Discussions, then choose iPad Help. Threre are a few sub-forums at the top. You should choose one of those if your question is about that subject. Otherwise, tap the icon at the top right (looks like a box with and arrow coming out of it), and chose New Thread.

Using the website is similar. You start by choosing Forum from the menu at the top. Once you have selected the forum you want to post in the + Post New Thread button is to the left just above the list of threads.

Feel free to explore the other forums, participate in the threads, and/or start a new one if you've got something to say that no one else is talking about. On the web site each forum has a brief description of what is supposed to go there. On the iPad you have to use common sense, though if you choose to look in the Stickies tab at the top of the thread list there is sometimes a post about the specific rules for that area.

Hope this helps.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a similar US based option that lets me pay as I go. But Truconnect is too pricy for me. I have a 1st gen iPad wifi only. And I would like to connect when away from work or home. There are other threads that discuss iPhone hot spots, but I prefer to avoid that option.

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started using talkatone. Was recently in Spain and made no charge calls to the US(home phones and cell phones). The reception was good and never dropped any of the wifi calls.

lookinglooking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More info on MIFI, plain ole english.. I need to explain to others.. Small group of smarty pants

Most reactions

Latest posts