What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g data use

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2 32gb 3g version.

I am using it with my T-Mobile pay as you go sim which was originally in my iphone so it is: a phone, text and data sim, it had £30 credit on it and I used it in a MyWi dongle to create a hotspot for my iPad 1. I am on wifi at home.
It only cost £10 per month, then you get free unlimited text and unlimited internet next month, for life, (not bragging about it just letting you know the background first).

I have just topped up the £10 so I get all free next month. So at the moment it is using up some of the credit that I have on the account. The cost for data on this tarriff varies but a maximum of £1 per day. I am trying to find the leak why my credit is going down.

So far tried turning off

Notifications, Location services and find my ipad. I want to find out now whilst at home because if I go out of the country with this unknown leak it could potentially cost me a fortune. The cost is not great and when you reach a £1 its free for the rest of the 24 hour period midnight to midnight. This is not true if on

Cellular Data is turned On, Data roaming is turned off. Here is a snapshot of what is happening:

Date/Time, Number Called, Type, Volume, Cost
Tue Mar 29 09:04:23 BST 2011, 1000, TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000, 2 Kb, 0.02
Tue Mar 29 09:00:59 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,1 Kb,0.01
Tue Mar 29 08:50:18 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,1 Kb,0.01
Tue Mar 29 08:36:07 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,1 Kb,0.01
Tue Mar 29 08:23:51 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,1 Kb,0.01
Tue Mar 29 08:13:01 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,8 Kb,0.06
Tue Mar 29 07:58:03 BST 2011,1000,TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000,1 Kb,0.01

So anyone got any ideas where or why?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have email set up on your iPad? If so, have you set your iPad to occasionally check for email messages? I'm guessing you don't knowingly check your email or surf using Safari during the 'test' period but your iPad can be set to automatically check even when in sleep mode. Do you have any other 'push' notifications turned on? The amounts being consumed appear relatively small and, since you've got roaming turned off you wouldn't be affected when you're overseas until you enabled roaming.

If the problem can't be resolved simply turn cellular data off until you need it, turn it on only while you're checking your email etc.

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply.

I have push notifications off and email set to manually.

Sorry, just realised MobileMe is still on push, so I am guessing that will fix it, just changing it to manual now. Thanks for the bouncing opportunity.

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all, about data usage. I am a newbie and still know very little about my new ipad 2 that I just got yesterday. I signed up with At&T and purchased the 2G of data plan for $25. I noticed by the end of the day yesterday I had already used up quite a bit of data. SO...silly question I know but can I turn off the 3G connection while at home and just use my wifi??? thanks..annette

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, about data usage. I am a newbie and still know very little about my new ipad 2 that I just got yesterday. I signed up with At&T and purchased the 2G of data plan for $25. I noticed by the end of the day yesterday I had already used up quite a bit of data. SO...silly question I know but can I turn off the 3G connection while at home and just use my wifi??? thanks..annette

If you have WiFi at home, there's no need to turn off 3G. The iPad will absolutely always use WiFi if it's connected to a wireless network in preference to 3G. But, if you want to be sure (say your WiFi network goes down and you don't notice the iPad would switch automatically *and without telling you* to 3G) you can go the the iPad's native 'Settings' app, and there you'll see a tab marked 'Cellular Data'. If you touch that you'll see a switch there that you can use to turn cellular data off - better to be safe than sorry......

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It wasn't my MobileMe, so still no wiser.
The WiFi goes to sleep when the iPad goes to sleep but the 3g connect stays open.

The next test I think will be leave the screen lock off for a while to see if this does stop the 3g sync.

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I use my iPhones micro sim card with unlimited data on my iPad 2? I'm always on my work iPhone and wouldn't mind being with out my personal iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Data use

I suggest you also look at apple discussions re: iPhone: unknown data use late at night. You will find 1200+comments regarding very similar problem dating back to new data plan release by AT&T june2010. Lots of confused and unhappy campers.

OP
T

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I use my iPhones micro sim card with unlimited data on my iPad 2? I'm always on my work iPhone and wouldn't mind being with out my personal iPhone.

That's what mine is, a full sim that I cut down with a template and works brilliant. All iPads are unlocked so just try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

That could be the problem that I am having. It could be the GSM part of my service checking for the nearest cell towers on the phone side of things.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There have been some posts on the Forum that suggest that AT&T don't allow this, for some reason and that you need a special iPad data plan. I'm not sure how they 'stop' it, though. Have you simply tried it? In the UK the situation seems to vary carrier-by-carrier - I have a '3' microSIM ('3' is a UK service provider) and there's no problem.

Tim
Scotland

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a cut down T-Mobile sim card and it works a treat. 6 months internet for £20

Most of the time I am using WiFi, so I turn my 3G off and only turn it on when needed. I guess that even if the 3G isnt being used (another poster says its on even in sleep) it would cause a drain on the battery ...for instance when in sleep mode and travelling in the car where there would be no WiFi signal.

Incidently, I understand what all the symbols mean, but is there a way to know which service is being used? Would it switch to 3G if the WiFi signal was weak or only if it was no existant?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that if the WiFi icon is displayed in the menu bar, then it's being used. I have had 'Safari cannot connect to the Internet' when the WiFi signal is very weak but 3G is perfect.

Tim
Scotland

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Incidently, I understand what all the symbols mean, but is there a way to know which service is being used? Would it switch to 3G if the WiFi signal was weak or only if it was no existant?

If you look in the top left corner you will see the carrier. To the right you would see signal bars if you are in Wi-fi and 3G if you are on 3G. On the left of that is the actual signal strength.

@Everyone else, You could turn 3G off when you are not using it. Kind of a pain but should work.

Most reactions

Latest posts