What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G data usage?

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is two months old bought the basic plan from Rogers in Canada
250mb for $15/month
First month used it, played with it etc constantly and never had a hint of how much data I was using. I assume I didn't go over the 250mbs as my billing was normal.
This month (billing Jul23-Aug 23) after being away from July 17-31 in Iceland with my iPad and a Vodafone sim card, I get a notice I'm at 212 of the 250 mb. Yikes only two weeks
I don't download much perhaps a book in this time period, but was on 3G most of that time once i got back into Canada.
Anyone else surprised at the amt of data you've used?
I now keep mine on airplane mode at home to be sure.
Just trying to get a feel of what's up here
Hugh

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The $15 for 250 MB is a pay-as-you-go plan. You can check your usage at any time by logging in to your account using Settings -> Cellular Data -> View Account. It will give you a current running total of much data you've downloaded.

As I understand it, with the pay-as-you-go plan, when you reach your 250 MB limit, you have to manually top up your account and add another $15 dollar 250 MB unit... or. (At least I think this is true :) ) .. If this is true, you shouldn't be able to exceed the 250 Mb by accident.

If you're into streaming radio or videos from the net, you can really suck up the data fast.. General web browsing doesn't use that much.

And.. Airplane mode probably isn't the best if all you want to do is avoid 3G usage.. Airplane mode also turns off the GPS receiver and the WiFi.. When I want to disable 3G, I just go into Settings -> Cellular Data and turn off Cellular Data. That leaves GPS and WiFi active...

FWIW, I use Roger's Flexi Plan... With their system fees, it's 21.93 for 500 MB and if I exceed that it bumps up to 36.93 for 5 GB.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-dataplans

OP
H

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I got a note on my iPad I was at 75% of my plan,giving me instructions how to add to my plan. As you say the next step is to add another 250mb.
Once I figure out what my usage patterns are I may have to move to another plan.

My concern is more one of, How did I run up my usage in two weeks? I'm assuming it was because I was on 3G away from any WiFi. I don't feel I'm a heavy user so I am surprised that I bumped up against the 250mb limit.
Hugh

Most reactions

Latest posts