What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G and 4G support and upgrades

dshs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there will be a simple SIM Card replacement for an existing 3G iPad user when ATT upgrades to 4G? Or will a completely new device be needed?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome.

For the 4G connection type will need new hardware.

I predict that the 4th generation iPhone is coming on June 7th will not support 4G and won't be called the iPhone 4G.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4G it a totally different beast and will require new hardware. Don't expect to see it fully deployed until late 2011.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While not likely, either the iPad or the iPhones may have the hardware already, and will just require a software update to make it work.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While not likely, either the iPad or the iPhones may have the hardware already, and will just require a software update to make it work.

Like you said seadog, not likely. Why future proof the iPad when they can just sell us another one in a year.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my perspective, I realize that all wireless companies would love to roll out 4G as soon as possible, but we just got 3G this month. And many areas are still using Edge. So it will probably be at least 2-3 years for 4G to be a reality in my area. As well as 3G works for me, I am not overly concerned. Unless my existing DSL service gets a lot better, I would probably switch to a wireless connection at home. Right now 3G and my DSL are neck and neck in speed.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bad news is that we will have to upgrade our hardware to take advantage of the 4G speed.

The good news is that our 3G radio's should still be compatible with the 4G radio's we just won't see the increased speed.

The even better news is that we will have an EXCUSE to upgrade our hardware :)

And as other's have said, it will be several years before 4G is deployed everywhere.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You guys are confused.

ATT will be upgrading to HSDPA, this will give current iphone 3GS iphones speeds of up to 7.2mbps.

Now when att finaly upgrades to LTE (4G) non of the current iphones will work with that and new ones must be made that support it.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like the next generation is near. There is a shortage of 3G models as they phase them out. Wal-Mart announced that 3GS is now on sale for $97 w/contract.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys are confused.

ATT will be upgrading to HSDPA, this will give current iphone 3GS iphones speeds of up to 7.2mbps.

Now when att finaly upgrades to LTE (4G) non of the current iphones will work with that and new ones must be made that support it.

I'm fairly certain this is correct. If anything we're waiting for the HSDPA rollout, supposedly starting late this year (for some), and supposedly fully supported by current iPhone 3GS (and I assume 3G ipads). Don't hold your breath for LTE, at least not on ATT. Sounds familiar huh????

Most reactions