What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G activation and tracking stolen iPad

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
And then what? Here ~ Apple won't do anything unless there is a police report filed. They won't tell you who has it or where it is.

Not sure what they do after the police report, though!

If Apple would start to give out addresses I dont want to think about what could happen. People start to seek justice by themselves......scary.

Curious to know if / what they do when a report is made.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I don't really know, J. A local radio talk show here told his story recently about his wife leaving her brand new iPhone at the park. So they called Apple and they would not do anything, because, of course, they aren't going to give out addresses.

They told him that they could do nothing without a police report and they will deal directly with the police, only.

Interesting, huh? I don't have the ending of this story though!

Sorry!:)

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this find my iphone/ipad app that i got for free from itunes, thing is this app only works for the ipad, but not on my iphone 3g. From the phone i can see where the ipad is, but from the ipad i cannot see where the iphone is, it only shows itself (ipad) which is rather useless

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I don't really know, J. A local radio talk show here told his story recently about his wife leaving her brand new iPhone at the park. So they called Apple and they would not do anything, because, of course, they aren't going to give out addresses.

They told him that they could do nothing without a police report and they will deal directly with the police, only.

Interesting, huh? I don't have the ending of this story though!

Sorry!:)

It would be good if Apple would have a policy to assist when a report has been made. That Apple does not do anything without a report I can understand.

Maybe a bit OT, but if you buy in CH a car your numberplate goes in a database. Anyone can, by sending an sms to a number get the homeaddress of the registered owner. You can remove yourself from this database, but by default you are in. A friend of mine got in an accident and it was not handled correctly. Suddenly one evening this guy was standing in front of her door.

If Apple would give out information to just anybody would be wrong. However, to assist the police would be a thumbs up to Apple.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JJK said:
It would be good if Apple would have a policy to assist when a report has been made. That Apple does not do anything without a report I can understand.

Maybe a bit OT, but if you buy in CH a car your numberplate goes in a database. Anyone can, by sending an sms to a number get the homeaddress of the registered owner. You can remove yourself from this database, but by default you are in. A friend of mine got in an accident and it was not handled correctly. Suddenly one evening this guy was standing in front of her door.

If Apple would give out information to just anybody would be wrong. However, to assist the police would be a thumbs up to Apple.

Yes, I totally agree, what a brilliant idea!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:

But surely we are talking about stolen iPads, wouldn't Apples database have address and contact details of the person they stole it from.......which is kind of pointless.......what the police need is for apple to track it if stolen, it won't give a name and not necessarily even an accurate address. It's a slightly more difficult problem I think. Unless the thief connects to a valid iTunes account.....I guess some would be that stupid?

The Archangel

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
But they have to sooner or later, right?

That is not necessary.

If one uses iTunes gift cards to buy apps, or well uses Cydia only, then there is no need to enter the correct address details for the account details.

Only if one uses a CC to make iTunes payments, is the correct address required.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
That is not necessary.

If one uses iTunes gift cards to buy apps, or well uses Cydia only, then there is no need to enter the correct address details for the account details.

Only if one uses a CC to make iTunes payments, is the correct address required.

So chances are the thief will sell it on in a couple of months and a poor unsuspecting forum moderator will find a SWAT team bursting through her windows as she plugs in her new iPad! Although may serve her right for using Windows and not OSX, I've never seen a SWAT team burst into a building through Snow Leopard!

That's why I think it's just not going to happen and why Apple have to be so careful about how they handle the information that they have.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
So chances are the thief will sell it on in a couple of months and a poor unsuspecting forum moderator will find a SWAT team bursting through her windows as she plugs in her new iPad! Although may serve her right for using Windows and not OSX, I've never seen a SWAT team burst into a building through Snow Leopard!

That's why I think it's just not going to happen and why Apple have to be so careful about how they handle the information that they have.

The Archangel

You big tease, stop it, I'm laughing too much!

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
But surely we are talking about stolen iPads, wouldn't Apples database have address and contact details of the person they stole it from.......which is kind of pointless.......what the police need is for apple to track it if stolen, it won't give a name and not necessarily even an accurate address. It's a slightly more difficult problem I think. Unless the thief connects to a valid iTunes account.....I guess some would be that stupid?

The Archangel

Exactly, another point is what if the thief uses his own legit itunes to register the stolen ipad/phone/touch, and when asked by the police, the thief says the original owner sold it to him for cash. How does the police determine who is lying, or prove it in the court of law. Its not like ipads have v5 document like cars which need to be signed my the seller and the buyer get the title transferred to him/her. Given all the variables in the real world, it would be better for apple not to get involved, and peeps should be careful of their devices not get stolen

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One way of knowing could be the datesnof report and registering with Itunes. I agree it is not fullproof.

Most reactions

Latest posts