What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G activation and tracking stolen iPad

LimpRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot but I had a question that hopefully you guys might be able to help me with. I recently had my iPad stolen and I think I might know who the culprit is. It was an iPad wifi+3G. I know you can restore the device to factory settings and I cancelled the 3G service on it. My question is would I be able to track the device if the person decided to set up the 3G? Like would I be able to call apple and give them thus serial and see who was paying for the month to month service if they set it up? I don't have the find my iPad app on my device nor do I have mobile me? Your guys help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Apple does not do any tracking of lost/stole iOS devices. FindMyiPhone is the only possibility Apple provides of tracking a device. You can still call Apple and tell them your iPad is lost/stolen, so if someone where to hand it back to Apple, they would have the means of contacting you, but in no way does Apple actively track stolen devices.

I am afraid, that there isn't much you can do to track your device now.

OP
L

LimpRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So even if I reported the device stolen and someone was paying for month to month service on that stolen serial number they won't do nothing about it?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but in no way does Apple actively track stolen devices.

There was this local radio talk show host here just recently ~ his wife left her iphone at the park . He contacted Apple and asked to track it and they told him that he must first file a police report and have the police contact them, and they will only give out that information to the police.

I thought it very interesting.

OP
L

LimpRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it odd that a serial that's known stolen would have pretty much map to the culprit I.e the credit card info of the person using the stolen device and apple won't do nothing about it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps they simply want it confirmed that the iPad is really stolen. After all, anyone could claim that an iPad is stolen and ask Apple to track it for them. Without proof of a crime (like a police report) it could easily be someone playing games, getting even, or looking for information on a potential victim.

Would you want Apple to hand over information about your devices on someones unsupported say so, without any proof or record that there had been a crime?

If your iPad has been stolen, file a police report, tell you them who you think stole it and why. Give them the serial number information and everything else you have about the device. After all, that is what they are paid for.

OP
L

LimpRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok what if that person decided to registered the device after I reported the serial # stolen? Would they notify me and say this person has it? Im pretty sure I know who the culprit is so this is why I'm being so adamant

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple, probably not on their own. The police would have to ask.

I don't even want to think of the problems a company could get itself into by trying to play detective, and to do it for free. Hey, I like Apple's products but I know better than to think they are philanthropists.

And it would mean that Apple would actually have to have someone (probably several someones) who did nothing but trace devices registrations and report discrepancies. After all, do it for one person and you're going to have to do it for everyone.

If there is any company that would do more I've never heard of it.

It's a job for the police. Let them do it.

bhavana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all 3G devices have IMEI code - this can be tracked immediately on all GPRS/ cellphone networks.... even if the sim is changed
the IMEI is printed on the box of the ipad....

Quote the IMEI to the police and they will alert the cellphone service advisors to track the device

All the best - I hope you find your stolen ipad... I know how devastating it is lose one...

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my home country you could give this IMEI number to the police and they would send an SMS to the stolen GSM every few minutes. This would prevent for the GSM to be sold on. I do not know if this service still exists and if it would be possible for an Ipad 3G.

There also was / is this Iphone app that would sound an alarm if there was sudden movement. That should work on the IPad as well. Just forgot the name.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my home country you could give this IMEI number to the police and they would send an SMS to the stolen GSM every few minutes.

And then what? Here ~ Apple won't do anything unless there is a police report filed. They won't tell you who has it or where it is.

Not sure what they do after the police report, though!

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will not bring the phone back, but makes it less interesting to steal one. Now they want to change the law as well that providers have to block the IMEI. Phone provders do not want to block stolen phones from being used again, because it brings money in the pocket.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
And then what? Here ~ Apple won't do anything unless there is a police report filed. They won't tell you who has it or where it is.

If Apple would start to give out addresses I dont want to think about what could happen. People start to seek justice by themselves......scary.

Curious to know if / what they do when a report is made.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
If Apple would start to give out addresses I dont want to think about what could happen. People start to seek justice by themselves......scary.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK they would almost certainly fall foul of the data protection act if they gave out addreses with serious consequences for them. Also, if they gave out addresses, even in the US, it would only take one error for a law suit the size of the moon to be heading in their direction!

The Archangel

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Most reactions

Latest posts